Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 separate mentions of the 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gopack
There were 2 separate mentions of the 914 in the May Road and Track!

The first was the obvious comparison of the VW Bluesport concept (mid-engine) to the 914:
“The BlueSport also mimics the 914 in styling. Really? How can that be?
Fair question. They don't look alike, but consider this: A 914 viewed head- or tail-on is quite similar. Horizontal body color with lights at the top, a thin horizontal bumper strip under that, chrome below that, a black valance at the bottom.
Now look at the BlueSport front and rear. Head- and taillights are the same shape with a VW emblem in between with body color below that, and a wide horizontal black grille at the bottom. The thin black opening stripe between the headlights rides higher in back as the rear spoiler, but the elements are all there, the front-rear symmetry enhanced by similar fender flares at each end containing 19-in. wheels and tires.”
Click to view attachment

The second, and my favorite is in Peter Egan’s column, Miscellaneous Ramblings, the Eight Stages of Restoration.

Stage Three: The Homecoming
Ah the happiest of all phases. You’ve dragged the car home with a couple of friends, made a pitcher of margaritas and now it is time to sit up all nightlong, admiring he shape and the sheer rightness of that 914 with the rotted-out battery box. No real work gets done on this night-just light vacuuming-(paper clips, crayons, green pennies, etc.) and 8track removal. Car enthusiasts actually glow during this phase, and it’s not just the alcohol. It is the humming voltage of bliss, right before it reaches the solenoid of reality.
Now is the time for lies. You and your friends say things like, “I don’t think these alloy wheels are really bent; it just needs an alignment.” Everyone nods and you have another drink to suppress the sudden chill."

I love Peter Egan, I alwasy say I wish I had his life, and he is a guy that is local to me (within 50 miles) a Wisconsin boy that took the road less traveled!
1970 Neun vierzehn
Egan is indeed a gifted writer, and his musings on motorcycles, old sports cars and vintage aircraft are always great reading. His contributions to Cycle World & R&T, whether they be columns or feature articles, are not to be missed.

Paul
SirAndy
QUOTE(gopack @ Apr 9 2009, 11:45 AM) *

It is the humming voltage of bliss, right before it reaches the solenoid of reality.

Spoken like a true 914 owner lol-2.gif
MDG
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Apr 9 2009, 02:54 PM) *

Egan is indeed a gifted writer, and his musings on motorcycles, old sports cars and vintage aircraft are always great reading. His contributions to Cycle World & R&T, whether they be columns or feature articles, are not to be missed.

Paul

and for those who haven't read him, or those who remember some of his older writings, his monthly columns have been collected into a 2 or 3 different books all available from the usual sellers. Some of his stuff is laugh out loud funny.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Speaking of automotive journal references, the latest issue of AUTOMOBILE magazine also mentions the 914 in a few sentences in a feature article on the new Boxster. I wouldn't buy the issue solely for the 914 mention, but if you see it on the magazine rack, the reference appears in the first couple of paragraphs. I'll leave it to you to decide if the comments flatter the 914, or not.

Paul
Sleepin
I would consider a BlueSport....if it still had the targa bar....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.