Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How To Replace Alternator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
knuckledrgr914
Do I need to drop the motor/trani to replace my alternator? If not, advice?!? confused24.gif

Thanks,
Brad
dr914@autoatlanta.com
no way get it from underneath. If you have a 75 76 you will have to remove the heat exchanger. If 70-74 just the left heater plumbing
VaccaRabite
Nope.

Rasie the rear of the car as hgh as you can get it.
remove the drivers side wheel.

from under the car, remove the dust boot that goes to the fan to the alt.
Follow the wires from the Alt to the relay board in the engine compartment. Pull the top off the board and remove the alternator wires from the relay board, and the wire that goes to the starter.

go back under the car. You will see a bit of engine tin that goes along the shelf. it is divided in two sections. A long section and a short one. Remove the short section of tin. there is a hidden bolt on the seam near the engine shelf, feel for it.

Now release belt tension on the alt. You may need to get a star point nut driver for this. If so, go to true value or HD and replace these bolts with regular metric allen bolts.

remove the alternator belt. Plan on replacing it.

Alternator is held in with 2 m8 allen (or soon to be replaced star point) bolts. Take them off. One of them is already loose, since it is what you loosened when you released tension on the alternator belt. You are still under the car, try not to let the sucker fall on your face. Its heavy.

Now, find whatever I have forgotten about, and unhook that. Wiggle the old alt around till it out of the car. Again, you are doing this from under the car, don't let it fall on your head.

Thats it. Buy a new one and replace everything. Easy.

Zach
SirAndy
I've done it both ways and i have to say, dropping the engine is quicker.

There's just not enough room up there to work, even with the car on a lift. It takes twice as long as dropping the engine.
popcorn[1].gif Andy
turboturtle
I've got to do this as well. Anything wrong with having my unit rebuilt, or should just I replace it and forget about it.
McMark
I can swap on an early car in about 1 hour. There's a write up here.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 10 2009, 04:05 PM) *

I can swap on an early car in about 1 hour. There's a write up here.

agree.gif

Just did it twice last weekend. Easy to do.

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 10 2009, 01:49 PM) *

I've done it both ways and i have to say, dropping the engine is quicker.

There's just not enough room up there to work, even with the car on a lift. It takes twice as long as dropping the engine.
popcorn[1].gif Andy

Geeeezzzzz, Andy. It takes 3-4 hours for most people to R&R an FI engine, and .75-1hr to replace the alternator in the car. For the original poster, BE SURE you check the length of the B+ stud! Adjust as necessary to clear the rear cover of the alternator. The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 10 2009, 04:41 PM) *

Geeeezzzzz, Andy. It takes 3-4 hours for most people to R&R an FI engine, and .75-1hr to replace the alternator in the car.

I guess that makes me one heck of a quick engine dropper!
biggrin.gif Andy
dflesburg
anytime you buy a new alternator get the higher amp one made for the 912e.

Or

don't but I do.
turboturtle
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Apr 10 2009, 05:15 PM) *

anytime you buy a new alternator get the higher amp one made for the 912e.

Or

don't but I do.

Higher amperage would be nice. Maybe my guy could modify mine for a few more amps. I'll be pulling mine out this week sometime.

Thanks for the reference

Bob
euro911
Yes, your electrical rebuild shop should be able to make a higher amperage unit for you (which is a good idea) idea.gif

I found it goes a lot quicker if you have another person (who knows what the job entails) doing the top-side stuff while you're under the car doing the bottom stuff (or vice-versa) unsure.gif
knuckledrgr914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 11 2009, 05:48 PM) *

I found it goes a lot quicker if you have another person (who knows what the job entails) doing the top-side stuff while you're under the car doing the bottom stuff (or vice-versa) unsure.gif

Thanks for the offer to help euro911! I'll pick you up from the airport when you fly into Boise, Idaho! What time do you arrive? piratenanner.gif happy11.gif lol-2.gif

Actually, thanks to all that provided insight into replacing my alternator. I hope to get some time to work on it in a couple days.

Brad
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.