Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Its time to cut & Buff
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I've decided that I've waited long enough. I'm starting with the shell and got the 800 and 1000 done tonight. A little interuption with a kid and a broken car took me away for a while, but in the morning I'm back at it!

I'd post a photo but I was too busy rubbing to use the camera.
RJMII
good deal, Billy! I'm glad you're able to get to work on your project.

Thanks for taking a break for a minute. wink.gif or 60? The kid appreciates the time and effort.

Wes V
Enjoying rubbing out a car is a true indication that you are sick!!

(seeing the results of something you have done yourself, can't be compared to anything!!)

Wes
computers4kids
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 10 2009, 09:00 PM) *

I've decided that I've waited long enough. I'm starting with the shell and got the 800 and 1000 done tonight. A little interuption with a kid and a broken car took me away for a while, but in the morning I'm back at it!

I'd post a photo but I was too busy rubbing to use the camera.

That's one thing nice when you do it yourself, you know you have plenty of material sprayed down. It's pretty much like a diamond in the ruff...just be careful not to cut through on the edges. An then the buffer... aktion035.gif

Post some pictures when you can, we'll be looking forward to them.
PanelBilly
Back at it this morning and it's break time. I'm being so careful not to cut too deep on the edges. I'd post some photos, but I haven't figured out how to resize photos on this computer in the shop. I've downloaded XP toys, but the right click option doesn't offer me resize??? Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

I guess its time to run out and get some donuts to power the arm motion.
brant
good job
keep at it.

and I always tackle this job with the EXPECTATION that I'm going to go through in at least one spot... that way I'm a lot less disappointed when I do cut an edge. It's not the end of the world, just a touch up.

brant
RJMII
nm; you got pics working.
PanelBilly
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

800,1000,1200,1500 and now it's time for lunch
PanelBilly
Last night I finished one side. Nice and shinny again
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
my928s4
Excellent work, that finish looks great. I hope mine turns out half as good !
MDG
looks great! smilie_pokal.gif
turboman808
I would be scared to get near paint with sand paper no matter how fine the grit. I guess you get used to it with alot of practice.

I am wondering if you can get the same effect by using a heavy compound and pad with a machine. Granted it may take longer since you are not taking off as much paint but less likely to cut to deep.

That car is gonna look great when it's done.
ssstikircr
looking GOOD so far aktion035.gif
PanelBilly
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 14 2009, 11:07 AM) *

I would be scared to get near paint with sand paper no matter how fine the grit. I guess you get used to it with alot of practice.

I am wondering if you can get the same effect by using a heavy compound and pad with a machine. Granted it may take longer since you are not taking off as much paint but less likely to cut to deep.

I applied extra clear coat with the intent of sanding about a layer off. Its hard to see the shine of the clear turn to a hase, but by the time I get to the first polish of 3500 grit compound the shine is back again.
slow914
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 14 2009, 11:07 AM) *

You use the sandpaper to flatten the texture and dirt out of the clear and compound to remove the fine scratches by kind of melting it all smooth. A heavy compound on very fresh paint will only slightly soften the worst orange peel, the amount of heat required to melt the texture away would clean wipe the paint off the panel.

Sanding clear is an art and billy that looks damn good, how many cars have you done that to? Did you use a DA for any steps? What compounds are you using?

Cant wait to see it on the ground.
SGB
its so purty, paw.
rick 918-S
popcorn[1].gif thumb3d.gif
charliew
heat? melt? the different grit papers gradually level the surface and each grit removes the previous sand scratches until the final grit is then polished out with the compounds. If it gets hot you're doing something very wrong.

The color is beginning to grow on me. The car looks perfect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.