Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VIN Database, please help keeping it updated!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SirAndy
Please help us to keep our VIN Database up to date!

You can add as many VIN numbers to our database as you like

You can also search the database using various criteria like year, type and even color.

The database can be found here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=membervins

In order to add a new VIN, simply click on the "ADD a new VIN ..." link.
The section "Your Own VINs:" will show all VIN numbers you entered.
You can edit your VINs by clicking on the number itself.

We'd like to record as much info about each car as possible

The list includes:

- VIN
- Details: Parted out or crushed? Factory GT or m471? Sportomatic?
- Engine Number
- Chassis Number (Badge on drivers side front door jamb and stamped into rear trunk floor)
- Build-Date (Sticker on drivers side rear door jamb)
- Paintcode (Badge on drivers side front door jamb)
- Current color if different from original
- A picture link (Please do not link to eBay or craigslist pictures!)
- Any comments or info on the car you'd like to share

Parts cars

If you have records of cars that you have come across in junkyards or cars that you parted out, please add those to the list as well and mark them "is she dead? crushed? cut up? rusted away?".
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=92742

Sample VIN record

Below is a sample image of a filled in VIN record:

IPB Image
dr914@autoatlanta.com
someone needs to come by and look at our over 200 parts cars and titles and record every one and add them to the data base. It will certainly take all day. Any volunteers?
SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 27 2010, 07:28 PM) *

someone needs to come by and look at our over 200 parts cars and titles and record every one and add them to the data base. It will certainly take all day. Any volunteers?

I need to come out and visit anyways. It's on my list of things to do.

I'll bring my notebook!
smile.gif Andy
ghuff
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 27 2010, 07:44 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 27 2010, 07:28 PM) *

I need to come out and visit anyways. It's on my list of things to do.

I'll bring my notebook!
smile.gif Andy

I will be heading down sometime in the next month of April to either bring a motor to Len/Jake Raby, just tour the aircooled sanctuary and get a feel for how they do things to build a turbo type IV. The reason depends on what I end up doing with my car.

On that list was stopping by to see George and look over said 200 parts cars for something to drag back home later this year.

I can start, if you would like since I am going to be getting OCD on them anyways.

George, you have a PM coming.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ghuff @ Mar 28 2010, 08:24 AM) *

I will be heading down sometime in the next month of April to either bring a motor to Len/Jake Raby, just tour the aircooled sanctuary and get a feel for how they do things to build a turbo type IV. The reason depends on what I end up doing with my car.

On that list was stopping by to see George and look over said 200 parts cars for something to drag back home later this year.

I can start, if you would like since I am going to be getting OCD on them anyways.

George, you have a PM coming.

That would be great!

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
davep
This will be a major project for sure, and quite a valuable one.
Before you go, please contact me regarding a few details that might be useful to check out.
Dave
maddin
914/6 racecar chassis numbers

found that on wsrp...not sure how up-to-date it is.
davep
Last update in 2010
A few inaccuracies.
puffinator

How does one edit information on a VIN that I currently own but is shown as being owned by someone else?

Rob Mairs
SirAndy
QUOTE(puffinator @ Feb 12 2014, 06:44 PM) *

How does one edit information on a VIN that I currently own but is shown as being owned by someone else?

You can't edit someone else's entry.

But you can add the same VIN under your account and add any info you like ...
smile.gif
Old Yella
If Dr 914 puts me up in some accommodation and pays the air fair I'll come to Atlanta and do the audit on all the 914 cars and motors.

I'm bores shitless and need a job. blink.gif

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 13 2014, 09:56 AM) *

QUOTE(puffinator @ Feb 12 2014, 06:44 PM) *

You can't edit someone else's entry.

But you can add the same VIN under your account and add any info you like ...
smile.gif

914werke
Is there a better way to add yet recorded VIN's/cars that you dont own?
For instance cars that you spy dead in a bone yard.
Right now you have to record them associated to ...ME, & notate that they have no affiliation ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Aug 5 2014, 10:06 PM) *
Is there a better way to add yet recorded VIN's/cars that you dont own?
For instance cars that you spy dead in a bone yard.
Right now you have to record them associated to ...ME, & notate that they have no affiliation ?

Just sent me a PM after you added them and i will de-ownerize you from those VINs ...
smile.gif
r32bert
I can't seem to get my info to update. I went to put in the paint/engine/chassis stuff, but it doesn't stick. I hit [Update My VIN] and when I look at it afterwards, there's only the same VIN info that's been there forever.

I even tried in a different browser... is it busted, or am I doing something wrong?
SirAndy
QUOTE(r32bert @ Aug 6 2014, 10:49 PM) *

I can't seem to get my info to update. I went to put in the paint/engine/chassis stuff, but it doesn't stick. I hit [Update My VIN] and when I look at it afterwards, there's only the same VIN info that's been there forever.

I even tried in a different browser... is it busted, or am I doing something wrong?

I just tested updating your VIN and it worked fine for me.

PM me your new info and i'll add it to your VIN profile ...
smile.gif
73Gino
VIN Search. My first car was a 1973 914 2.0. I sold it in 1982 and believe I have again found the car. Unfortunately, I no longer have my former car's VIN. I have the VIN of the car I found and would like to obtain a VIN search that shows where the car has been registered throughout its life.

Does anyone know where I can obtain such a VIN search?
type47
I found an error: there is a silver car listed with VIN 4762901552 which should have VIN 4762924483. The correct VIN is in the description.
SirAndy
QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 5 2015, 06:46 AM) *

I found an error: there is a silver car listed with VIN 4762901552 which should have VIN 4762924483. The correct VIN is in the description.

Fixed, thank you Sir!
beerchug.gif
porschetub
Vin added no idea of build date,maybe some would know that from the VIN so I could update?,cheers to you Sir Andy for this database.
tnsmike
Would it be possible to add a location to the database so it would be easy to see what members and cars are located near you? Just a thought!
JustinMeier
How do I move the VIN from SLIT's profile to mine?
SirAndy
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Apr 28 2017, 03:29 PM) *

How do I move the VIN from SLIT's profile to mine?

You don't. Just add it under your name.
shades.gif
JustinMeier
Ty!
Ed_Turbo
Hey guys,

Trying to register this 914 chassis but I get errors. Is it so rare and custom that not even the database is registering it? laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Jul 19 2017, 01:03 PM) *
Trying to register this 914 chassis but I get errors. Is it so rare and custom that not even the database is registering it?

You already have the VIN in the database.
The chassis number 405-9004 looks to be correct for a '75.

Which part doesn't work?
Exactly what kind of error do you get?
idea.gif
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 21 2017, 12:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Jul 19 2017, 01:03 PM) *
Trying to register this 914 chassis but I get errors. Is it so rare and custom that not even the database is registering it?

You already have the VIN in the database.
The chassis number 405-9004 looks to be correct for a '75.

Which part doesn't work?
Exactly what kind of error do you get?
idea.gif

If I remember the error was something like chassis number too short. Thanks for the help Andy.
Mike1981
Hello Everyone

I just picked up this modded 914
V8 SBC
Performer Intake
Headers
Magnaflo resonators
Cold Air intake

1972 originally from NJ
Bought it in TN

VIN 4722913132

https://scontent.fdet1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1...amp;oe=5A68DA9E

Thanks
RoseDerby
Hey all,
My vin year does not seem to match my chassis number and paint color. Could the dealer have changed vin numbers? I don't know my engine number but I am sure it is a 4 cyl.
Thanks!
M
AZBanks
This is not mine.

Added 9141430300 to the database.
It was sitting in one of the lots at RSR VI
Original Euro 914-6.
For Sale.
sbsix
Euro sixes didn’t come with “A” pillar VIN tags. This is a bad attempt to add one considering that perfect reproductions are available. Looks like it’s screwed into the dash top.
SirAndy
QUOTE(sbsix @ Oct 1 2018, 07:09 PM) *
Euro sixes didn’t come with “A” pillar VIN tags. This is a bad attempt to add one considering that perfect reproductions are available. Looks like it’s screwed into the dash top.

Depending on how it was federalized, this "bad attempt" may well have been done by one of your trusty government representatives ...
popcorn[1].gif
56kabrio
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 11 2009, 12:19 PM) *

Please help us to keep our VIN Database up to date!

Sir Andy

I just tried to enter my recently purchased 914 into the VIN database. It had already been entered by a previous owner in 2008. Is there any way to update the info to reflect current ownership?

Thanks

Mack
SirAndy
QUOTE(56kabrio @ Apr 15 2019, 11:15 AM) *
I just tried to enter my recently purchased 914 into the VIN database. It had already been entered by a previous owner in 2008. Is there any way to update the info to reflect current ownership?

@56kabrio

Yes, but no. The VIN database is more of a VIN history than a snapshot.

While i technically can delete/modify entries i usually don't since we'd like to keep a record of ownership over the years.

You can enter your info just fine even if there are already older entries for the same VIN.
shades.gif
56kabrio
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 15 2019, 12:51 PM) *

QUOTE(56kabrio @ Apr 15 2019, 11:15 AM) *

@56kabrio

Yes, but no. The VIN database is more of a VIN history than a snapshot.

While i technically can delete/modify entries i usually don't since we'd like to keep a record of ownership over the years.

You can enter your info just fine even if there are already older entries for the same VIN.
shades.gif

Great. Thanks. I really didn’t want to delete the previous info, just add the new information to the database. Actually, I think that it makes more since to keep all entries for each VIN to serve as a chronological record of “where the car has been”.

Appreciate the response
Mack
preach
What about for sale ads that are not in the data base? For Example:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d...7090206055.html
SirAndy
QUOTE(preach @ Mar 12 2020, 08:37 PM) *

What about for sale ads that are not in the data base? For Example:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d...7090206055.html

@preach

If you find one that isn't in our database yet, please add them.
beerchug.gif

PS: When you do that they'll be added linked to your account. Just send me a PM and i'll unlink them.
preach
Click to view attachment

4732920316 added
preach
4742901133 Added

Click to view attachment
preach
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/ctd/d...7103388091.html

4752908193 added.

@SirAndy there are 3 under my name that do not belong to me now.
SirAndy
QUOTE(preach @ Apr 4 2020, 06:22 PM) *
there are 3 under my name that do not belong to me now.

@preach

Thank you Sir!
beerchug.gif
preach
From Craigslist:

Not mine @SirAndy .
preach
https://mohave.craigslist.org/cto/d/lake-ha...7150222028.html

Can update that one maybe.

Bored working 12 hour shifts...
Arno914
Today I went VIN hunting for this forum. smile.gif
Could trace two new VIN´s of dead cars.

Location: North of Frankfurt/Germany. Sitting there for years, together with other 914´s that where parted out and left unprotected from the elements. Many good parts have been rotten away. Sad sight though.

The Karman Body-number in the door sill doesn´t make sense to me, any thoughts?

Arno

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image[/img]
SirAndy
The black one seems like a good candidate for a Bumblebee Limited Edition!
idea.gif

@JeffBowlsby

SirAndy
QUOTE(Arno914 @ Aug 22 2020, 01:22 PM) *
The Karman Body-number in the door sill doesn´t make sense to me, any thoughts?

@Arno914

I think it is just missing the leading 0, should be 0919527
idea.gif

Arno914
Thanks, that makes sense. When enlarging the original photo it looks like they did´d set the stamping tool correct on that monday mornig at the karman factory. beer.gif
And yes, it was a bumblebee most likely. But over the hill... bye1.gif

Arno
74ravenna
4702900806. An early one. Not mine.

Appears to be Ravenna Green.

FB listing in Saugus, Mass.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1...a4-e5287ebde791

Sorry to bother you with this but I don't know how to list a VIN without it appearing in the database as mine.

Thanks
Steve

roblav1
How do you edit / update a car that's already in the database? Mine shows the previous owner... well, it's now mine and the car is completely different!
SirAndy
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Apr 1 2021, 05:44 AM) *

How do you edit / update a car that's already in the database? Mine shows the previous owner... well, it's now mine and the car is completely different!

@roblav1 just add a new entry and add the current info you'd like to share.

We don't "update" a single car record, rather we want to keep a history of ownership.
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.