Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical Issues (Generator Light on)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MBowman325
I went to visit my Dad today and when I came out, I realized that I'd left my turn signal on. I'm not sure if it's common for these to stay lit up when the car is off or not, but I normally try to just make sure that I turn it off so I don't have to worry about it.

Long story short, it was on like that for about 90 minutes. Car fired right up, but now the alternator light stays on regardless of what I do. I also no longer have functional turn signals or hazards now. If I turn the car back off and flip the turn signal, that side lights right up (but doesn't blink - normal as far as this car goes) Headlights work fine.

Also observed, unsure if it is related as this symptom was noticed before this event (after changing transfluid)

My tach does not read correct. Reads low perhaps 700 RPM when cruising at 75-80. Overall does not behaved as it did prior. The only thing electrical under the transmission I touched was the reverse light switch. Previously I would hit 3800-4k when getting up the ramp. Now it indicates that I just barley pass 3200. Previous cruising RPM was indicated ~3250 at higher speeds. On the way here it was displaying ~2400 RPM.

Thoughts?
MBowman325
As a sidenote:

When the car is running with no lights on, voltage at gauge reads > 14V

When turning on marker / head lights, gauge drops all the way left (normal for this car). No change on volt gauge with turn signals, but there is a twitch of the fuel gauge when I do.

I packed my tools -- everything but spare wire and my meter... I'll see if I can borrow one off my brother or Dad once I get in touch with them..
MBowman325
Disregard. I'd "twirled" the fuses in place, but didn't take them out to check. The fuse for the dash lights was blown, but not melted, so the pieces were resting together enough to carry some current. Would also explain why the tach was not reading correct.

All I need to do sometimes is verbalize. smile.gif
Dave_Darling
The turn signal thing is normal.

Glad you found the fuse problem. You might also check your grounds, those can cause all kinds of odd problems.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.