Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical gremlin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BK911
So I popped fuse #9 which serves the wipers and the radio. I hardly use either, so that was a little surprising. I put in a new fuse and went for a drive. Almost immediately I started smelling smoke. I pulled over and pulled the fuse out and finished my ride with no smoke. I got home and checked the wiring, and it looks like the smoke was coming from the fuse panel itself as there is a little bit of discoloring at a terminal.

I jumped the fuse with an amp meter to measure amps. With just the radio everything was ok. With the radio off, I turned on the wipers and my amp meter blew! So I am thinking something is wrong with my wiper motor or switch. So my question is... Where do I start? I have no idea what to do next to isolate the problem.

Help!
BK

confused24.gif
Spoke
Questions: When the fuse first popped, were you running the wipers? Also did you do any work on the wiring lately?

One way to isolate the wiper issue is to disconnect the wiper motor then try your test again. If the fuse still pops then the wiring is at fault, if the fuse doesn't pop, it might be your wiper motor.

BTW, disconnecting the wiper motor may require you to pull the gas tank.
markb
IIRC, wiper motor, cig lighter, & fresh air blower all work off of that fuse.
BK911
I haven't touched anything. My radio didn't work so I checked the fuse. It was blown so I replaced it. Next time I listened to the radio I smelled smoke, so I went home and jumped the fuse with an amp meter. Not sure what I should be looking for though.
Spoke
You have to isolate the problem. Turn everything off (wipers, radio, fresh air blower, and see if you blow a fuse. If so, there is some wiring problem.

If the fuse doesn't blow, then try turning on one item at a time to see if the fuse blows.
dbgriffith75
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 14 2009, 04:46 PM) *

You have to isolate the problem. Turn everything off (wipers, radio, fresh air blower, and see if you blow a fuse. If so, there is some wiring problem.

If the fuse doesn't blow, then try turning on one item at a time to see if the fuse blows.

agree.gif

Chasing down electrical issues- even in older cars- can be a painstaking and time consuming process. The best way to do it is a methodical approach because with a "hit and miss" strategy it's very easy to lose track of what you've checked and what you haven't.

So start by writing down a list of everything that runs off the fuse. As you eliminate each one check it off. By writing it down, it turns it into a process of elimination- eventually you will find the problem.

Oh, and as for your amp meter- there should be a fuse in it. Remove the back cover and check- most meters have fuses. And make sure you have it on the right setting- I know from experience the improper setting can wreak havoc on a meter.
orange914
QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ Apr 14 2009, 07:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 14 2009, 04:46 PM) *

agree.gif

Chasing down electrical issues- even in older cars- can be a painstaking and time consuming process. The best way to do it is a methodical approach because with a "hit and miss" strategy it's very easy to lose track of what you've checked and what you haven't.

So start by writing down a list of everything that runs off the fuse. As you eliminate each one check it off. By writing it down, it turns it into a process of elimination- eventually you will find the problem.

agree.gif also work from one end of the curcuit and work out, i start from the hot source and disconect, say before the motor or any other draw. test it to make sure it's open. this will tell you if there are any shorts -hot wire insulation broken down contacting a ground source. then if that proves solid reconect and test the motor inline for excessive draw. make sure you have a good ground on the final end. i was once told that a very large % of electrical problems are traced back to a grounding issue of some sort, and i really believe that ESPESIALLY with these 35 year old 914's that seem to always have ground issues

mike driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.