Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: alternator repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom
Sounds like the bearings are going out on my alt. It is charging OK but getting noisey. The book says to remove the driver's side heat exchanger. Is that really necessary? I hate to remove it as it isn't leaking and if I don't have to mess with it, I would rather not. What has your experience been?
Thanks,
Tom
type47
recent thread

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94538

but I think you will have to drop the HE (drivers side) since yours is a 75-76 based on the sage advice from Dr 914.
Tom
Thanks Jim.
Tom
r_towle
You should not need to remove the HE, just the heater tubes and flapper..that is simple.
Leave the connection to the head alone...no touchy.

I think that removing the alternator from a car with the motor installed is a very frustrating job....it just plain sucks.
But, it can be done.
My 20 year old did his in the car,,,just kept coming in an complaining, but he got it done.

Rich
Tom
Rich,
That part about not touching the head is what I was referring to. Mine doesn't leak, so I don't want to bother it and have a horror story fall on me. I have heard too many stories of HE removals turn into something very bad.
Tom
aircooledtechguy
I just changed my alternator in my '75 2 weeks ago. The HE stays. I only removed the flapper valve and such to remove mine.

I thought doing these on a VW bus was "fun". . . Fun meter was pegged on the 914 and I'm lucky in that I have a lift aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.