Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trying to start car after sitting awhile.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
I have working on the body and paint of the car for almost 4 years; mostly on jack stands. Car was running fine when I started...probably should have kept starting it but didn't.

Now I have the battery charged up. i go to turn the key and hear ll the clack and clicking as usual ( at least I think it was normal).

Turning the key creates a huge "chooonk" noise with accompanied buzzing and humming.

Is the starter frozen?

Is it possible to roll the car in 5th gear so that the cylinders get lubed? how much distance does the car have to roll to turnover?
jmill
Sounds like the starter gear missed engaging the flywheel. Rotate the engine a pinch and try again. It wouldn't hurt to lube the cylinders a bit and make sure the engine rotates freely.
7TPorsh
How can I turn the engine easily?
Cupomeat
If the car is on jack stands, pull the plugs and put the car in 5th gear.

Have a friend hold one rear wheel still while you turn the other.

If the car is on the ground, you can avoid the friend help, by leaving the other rear wheel on the ground.

As you need to pull the plugs to put oil in, you are half way there.

Good luck and seized engines are a general shame. If it is seized, pull it, hone the cylinders (if they aren't too far gone) and replace the rings.
jmill
Jack up the back and rotate a tire when it's in gear. I'd pull the plugs and try and get some lube on the rings. It'll smoke like crazy at first but after 4 years sitting I'd be afraid of a frozen ring causing damage.
McMark
Jack up the back and rotate a tire when it's in gear.

Slight correction: jack up one side, gotta keep one tire on the floor to keep it from spinning.
7TPorsh
If i put it in 5th gear and roll the car; will it roll at all if the engine is frozen?
Right now i can move the car a good 6 feet back and forth.
inschool
If the engine is frozen it will not move while in 5th gear. Trust me.
7TPorsh
so, do i hit the starter with a hammer? must be the starter then?
SGB
you can use a remote starter (ol' harbor fright has one cheap) to test the starter in the car. What about roll starting?
Cupomeat
Ok, if you use a rolling start to break an engine free, expect to immediately pull the motor to clean up the cylinders, look for broken rings and pistons and go through it. WELL, it would have helped if I read the whole thread and saw that he confirmed it was not seized... Sorry

I'd say you should pull the motor now and save yourself some additional trouble.

I've done the pop start a siezed motor back in the VW beetle days, when a beetle was $100 and anywhere, but $100 doesn't go far on a T4 motor these days.

It is fun, especially when they are about it seize and you keep breaking it loose. LOL
Pnambic
Question to the other guys troubleshooting this...
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Apr 14 2009, 01:01 PM) *

If i put it in 5th gear and roll the car; will it roll at all if the engine is frozen?
Right now i can move the car a good 6 feet back and forth.

If he dropped a valve seat, how far would he be able to roll the car in 5th gear before the valve interfered with the piston again?
7TPorsh
ok, you cynics. I did the one wheel off the ground thing and the engine turns rather easily.
So my problem is the starter or the battery. My old battery reads 13 volts. I hook up my charger to it and put it on 10 amps for a little while.
When I go to start..."chooonk"; like there isn't enough juice.

Should I try jumper cables with another running car?

No option to do a bump start...live in the hills and no windshield.

Really don't want to take the starter out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.