Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil lamp
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
starman
Hii
I finally got the engine running in my 914 1.7. ive been through all the electric, and everything should be working, but what about the oil lamp? It a green lamp, normally it red and lights until the engine is running with oil presure, when does it light on a 914? I testet the light by grounding the wire by the indicator on the engine . Then it lights up, there is no light before or after the engine started. Ive just changed the oil, and the car has been idle for a year, but i think it was running long enough to activate the pressure switch and get the oil through the engine. (i filled the filter before mounting it)

ejm
QUOTE(starman @ Apr 14 2009, 01:16 AM) *

I testet the light by grounding the wire by the indicator on the engine . Then it lights up, there is no light before or after the engine started.

The OP switch closes the circuit to ground when there is no pressure. If you ground the wire at the switch and the light works you have a bad switch.
Spoke
agree.gif

Test your switch with an ohmmeter with the engine off. Connect one lead to the switch and the other to battery NEG. You should read 0 to a couple of ohms. If higher reading is observed, the oil pressure sender unit is bad and needs replaced.

CliffBraun
Yup, mine comes on with the key and turns off as the engine starts(or after a bit of cranking sad.gif ). Incidentally, from what I've heard it's more of a "you're fucked" light than anything. The pressure threshold is low enough that bad things are already happening if it comes on while you're running.
ConeDodger
4-8 psi IIRC. If it comes on at idle it is a concern but not catastrophic. It can mean a number of things and you should figure out what and fix it. If it comes on at RPM and you hear noises... Get ready to build an engine.
Shade Tree
My oil light doesn't come on when I turn the key. A PO has it wired to the driver's door switch! It lights up nice and bright when I open the door. headbang.gif
SGB
QUOTE(Shade Tree @ Apr 14 2009, 12:10 PM) *

A PO has it wired to the driver's door switch!

no shit? awesome!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.