Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Megasquirt Happiness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
banger
I finally got my motor back together, and have it running with Megasquirt, and have nothing but praises for it. For those of you who are considering a new fuel injection, I would highly recommend megasquirt. I found it very easy to tune once I got the hang of it. The car starts well every time, has a nice smooth idle. The power is smooth and consistent from 2500-redline. Needless to say I couldnt be happier.
dbgriffith75
Megasquirt

av-943.gif

[BTW, not saying megasquirt is junk- just laughing at the perverted insinuation of the name]
RJMII
MegaSquirt... MS-I or MS-II? which setup are you running?

details and pics?
banger
I started out with MS-1 but then changed to MS-2, since I plan on controlling ignition next. The engine is a bit of a bastard. I started out thinking I would do a stock 1.7 rebuild. But then ended up stroking and counterweighting the crank, so it ended up being 1909cc. Then eneded up putting bigger valves in when the heads were rebuilt. So in the end, its running 9.5 compression, with 1.8 intake and plenum, and a 2.1 vanagon throttle body. The ignition runs through a mallory Hyfire 6, and mallory coil, using the stock distributor. The next step is to change to the vanagon distributor.

QUOTE(RJMII @ Apr 15 2009, 04:44 PM) *

MegaSquirt... MS-I or MS-II? which setup are you running?

details and pics?

Smitty911
QUOTE(banger @ Apr 15 2009, 04:28 PM) *
The car starts well every time, has a nice smooth idle. The power is smooth and consistent from 2500-redline. Needless to say I couldnt be happier.

What about below 2500 rpm?
banger
Below 2500 is good and torquey, but it really takes off when it hits 2500.

QUOTE(Smitty911 @ Apr 15 2009, 05:01 PM) *

QUOTE(banger @ Apr 15 2009, 04:28 PM) *
The car starts well every time, has a nice smooth idle. The power is smooth and consistent from 2500-redline. Needless to say I couldnt be happier.

What about below 2500 rpm?

McMark
Great to hear, thanks for sharing. cool.gif thumb3d.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 15 2009, 06:59 PM) *

Great to hear, thanks for sharing. cool.gif thumb3d.gif

agree.gif

Thanks for sharing for sure. =o) I'm hoping to do my MS-II initial fire sometime this month. =o) most of the stuff is there, just need to get some help with the heavy stuff.
wertygrog
I am planning a MS setup for the 2.5L type 4 I'm building. I was thinking individual throttle bodies. Do you suggest going with MSII from the get go, even if I plan to just do fuel control at first?
underthetire
QUOTE(wertygrog @ Apr 15 2009, 09:17 PM) *

I am planning a MS setup for the 2.5L type 4 I'm building. I was thinking individual throttle bodies. Do you suggest going with MSII from the get go, even if I plan to just do fuel control at first?

I am using the Megasquirt 2 as well. Start with that. It has way more options and the V3 board is way more robust. The software to tune it also has a few more features. Mine has a very smooth throttle and 30 mpg. Only one vaccum line to run it as a bonus!
banger
I found that MS-2 was easier as well. MS-2 also has more resolution when controlling the injectors. I am using the stock 1.7 injectors, which are a bit oversized. Using MS-2 allows finer control over the big injectors. I plan to change to individual throttle bodies as well, but am doing things one step at a time. I figured I would get the engine running in a relatively stock configuration, then change it from there. This way you arent working with too many unknown variables at once.
Larouex
Has anyone on the forum documented the Mega Squirt process and conversion. I found one on Google and it is okay, but I would like more details.

I am hauling my 2.0 I bought this winter into the shop and it NOW has the stock EFI on it. I have had to put together many of the parts over the last 4 months as some vw-mech scammed the PO by swapping out all the 2.0 specific parts for VW stuff. I had the wrong dizzy, wrong MPS, mixed FI from a 1.7 and 2.0, etc. So now that I have all the parts, I am having a pro bring it up to tune. I already know that I don't want to swap to carbs, but modernizing the EFI via MS might be an interesting update.
banger
Converting over is pretty easy, I kept the injectors, CHT sensor, and Air temperature sensor on mine. I patched the megasquirt into the stock relay board for controlling the fuel pump etc. You would need to add a throttle position sensor, and possibly a wide band O2 sensor. The wide band O2 makes things much easier when it comes to tuning.

QUOTE(Larouex @ Apr 15 2009, 10:49 PM) *

Has anyone on the forum documented the Mega Squirt process and conversion. I found one on Google and it is okay, but I would like more details.

I am hauling my 2.0 I bought this winter into the shop and it NOW has the stock EFI on it. I have had to put together many of the parts over the last 4 months as some vw-mech scammed the PO by swapping out all the 2.0 specific parts for VW stuff. I had the wrong dizzy, wrong MPS, mixed FI from a 1.7 and 2.0, etc. So now that I have all the parts, I am having a pro bring it up to tune. I already know that I don't want to swap to carbs, but modernizing the EFI via MS might be an interesting update.

Rick_Eberle
QUOTE(banger @ Apr 16 2009, 10:28 AM) *

Needless to say I couldnt be happier.

Mine's been making me happy for almost two years now...
banger
Rick, your posts on the megasquirt gave me many of the ideas for mine. I plan to use motorcycle throttle bodies as well, but with a different twist. I have a set of electronically controlled motorcycle throttle bodies, which should make the throttle cabling and syncing easier for me. I have been toying with the idea of adding cruise control while I am at it too...

QUOTE(Rick_Eberle @ Apr 16 2009, 05:07 AM) *

QUOTE(banger @ Apr 16 2009, 10:28 AM) *

Needless to say I couldnt be happier.

Mine's been making me happy for almost two years now...

jd74914
Awesome! That seems like a great way to modernize the car. It should be even better once you have entirely programmable ignition too. Have you thought about going COP?

I like Megasquirt too, though now the Microsquirt I'm working with has me really pissed off. laugh.gif it won't recognize my Honda M-N wheel. wacko.gif
banger
I have thought of doing coil on plug at some point. Just waiting until someone decides to make a nice trigger wheel kit for the type 4.

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 16 2009, 07:30 AM) *

Awesome! That seems like a great way to modernize the car. It should be even better once you have entirely programmable ignition too. Have you thought about going COP?

I like Megasquirt too, though now the Microsquirt I'm working with has me really pissed off. laugh.gif it won't recognize my Honda M-N wheel. wacko.gif

arvcube
QUOTE(banger @ Apr 16 2009, 07:59 AM) *

I have thought of doing coil on plug at some point. Just waiting until someone decides to make a nice trigger wheel kit for the type 4.

i'm waiting on the same thing...i plan on doing MS1 w/edis eventually. I've had a similar set up running beautifully on my turbo scirocco for years with no complaints.
underthetire
I'm getting ready to change my throttle body to a 50mm chevy one with idle circuit control. I got a new Body and injectors from my neighbor. I'm also running the 1.7 injectors right now with no problems. Using the stock CHT sender, and a GM open element air intake temp sensor.

Just wish i didn't have to pull the motor to put a crank trigger in. I have the GM coil packs waiting for me.

And i would run the wideband O2 if i wasn't so cheap. I'm using the narrow band Bosch with heater, just took a little longer to tune.
RJMII
That was one thing I bought right off, was the wideband O2... and MS-II. I want to use the MS-II extra because it has boost control. =o)
underthetire
I just got my Palm Pilot in the mail. Time to mount it in the car! Anyone use the palmtune for the megasquirt?
banger
I picked up a cheap Fujitsu Stylistic tablet pc for mine. It works great for tuning megasquirt, since you dont really need a keyboard for most of the adjustments. The tablet pc has a number pad on the side, with most of the keys you would need. It fits almost perfect between the front seats, and was probably the best $80 I have spent.

QUOTE(underthetire @ Apr 16 2009, 07:28 PM) *

I just got my Palm Pilot in the mail. Time to mount it in the car! Anyone use the palmtune for the megasquirt?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.