Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 75-76 Fiberglass Bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Derek Seymour
I have been looking for options that are different than back dating the bumpers on my 76. The unique look of the 75-76 bumper has grown on me and I really don't want to cut any metal of my car. So i decided I would either gut my stock bumpers or see if I could have some fibergalss reproductions made. Luckily Richard Bontempi of High Perfomance House had this idea before me, so now I don't have to re-invent the wheel.

I have not purchased any of these pieces yet so I don't know how the fit and finish is.

I noticed on great thread that detailed his bumper mod procedure that other members might be interested in fiberglass bumpers as well. So here are some pics and contact info.

www.highperformancehouse.com
Richard Bontempi
Please contact him for price.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

maf914
Do they make a rear bumper as well?

What are the tabs or bumps for on the underside of the front bumper? Is this for mounting a spoiler/air damn? The racing cars I have seen that use this bumper usually have a deep front spoiler that is mouted almost flush with the front face of the bumper.
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(maf914 @ Apr 16 2009, 10:02 AM) *

Do they make a rear bumper as well?

What are the tabs or bumps for on the underside of the front bumper? Is this for mounting a spoiler/air damn? The racing cars I have seen that use this bumper usually have a deep front spoiler that is mouted almost flush with the front face of the bumper.

I am not 100% sure but I think those are to help control airflow. Richard originally did this because SCCA won't allow you to cut metal off the body AND these bumpers are more aerodynamic than the older models. I plan on checking out HSR West Challenge 3 so I wanted these for the exact same reasons. I found a guy who can do copies of the stock bumpers in carbon fiber... which would look really cool, but currently I see no mention of allowing carbon fiber in historic racing events.

Since part of the motivation was improving aerodynamics Richard went with a 74 style fiberglass bumper for the rear. I was hoping for a cut down version of the 75-76... but... I am not going to be to picky and if the 74 has better aero characteristics then it is probably the way to go.

Here is the spoiler you are talking about and the 74 style rears.

I also have pics of the fenders and whale tail that he makes if you would like to see them.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.