Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Won't Start after conector problem.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
old9one4
72' car with 71' wiring (assembled in Dec 71') so no oil tempurature wire in ingition harness.

While searching for oil temp wire I didn't replace the ignition harness connector back on the relay board correctly. It was tilted at an angle with the #1 pin end possibly not contacted. Motor would not turn over. Fuel pump started but no cranking. Tried to jump thinking battery was low. With no help from jump I reviewed my previous actions.

When I found the tipped connector I pushed it back down to the correct contact problem. Now motor turns over and fuel pump works but no start. Only thing I can think of is no spark but, don't know why.

Any thought on this? Coil damaged or worse alternator damaged?

jaxdream
Oil temp wire should go down underneath to the oil sump / taco plate. Pull a plg wire and stick a screwdriver up in the plug boot end , have someone try to start it while slightly grounding the screwdriver , see if it sparks. If no spark , try hot wiring the coil by running a jumper wire from Bat. + side to Coil + side , then crank. If it sparks and trys to fire up , then the wire from the ignition switch is not getting fire to the coil. Back track some of your changes that you performed , perhaps you disloged a wire from a connecter , not getting good contact. Good luck.

Jaxdream
Jeffs9146
Check all of your fuses!
Dave_Darling
Verify that it's not getting spark.

If not, check for +12V on the thicker black wire (which may have a red stripe) on the (+) terminal of the coil when the key is on. Check that the ground braid inside the distributor is there. Make sure the points open and close when the distributor shaft turns. Then check that the wire from the points gets shorted to ground and then disconnected when the points open and close.

--DD
firstknight13
biggrin.gif i had the same problem...turned out to be the voltage reg ground.....ray
old9one4

Problem diagnosted. Missaligned connector on relay board fried Pertronix module. My bad.

Thanx for the help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.