Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Triad Muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mojorisen914
So, I just hung up with Dave at Triadwest and we were discussing the 2.0 muffler set up and me wanting to use my 916 rear bumper. We both think that the left "stock" side will match up with the existing hole in the bumper and the right side will mirror the left leaving me to modify the right side of the bumper for the right pipe to poke thru.
Anyone have any advice, comments, or info about this. I want the finish product to be when you look at the ass end of the car that both holes in the bumper are even and aesthetically pleasing.

Thanks guys and gals.

number6
QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Apr 19 2009, 08:28 PM) *

So, I just hung up with Dave at Triadwest and we were discussing the 2.0 muffler set up and me wanting to use my 916 rear bumper. We both think that the left "stock" side will match up with the existing hole in the bumper and the right side will mirror the left leaving me to modify the right side of the bumper for the right pipe to poke thru.
Anyone have any advice, comments, or info about this. I want the finish product to be when you look at the ass end of the car that both holes in the bumper are even and aesthetically pleasing.

Thanks guys and gals.

I did the same mod on a steel short valance for a Triad. My advice is to wait until you mount the exhaust to make actual measurements, to be absolutely sure. In theory, the muffler would mount in dead center of car, with exit tips equal distance from center. But that didn't bear out in my case. The tips were offset between the two sides about 1", which isn't a big deal (because you can't tell by looking)...but is a big deal if you've already cut on the assumption that the right would mirror the left side. It wasn't a big deal scooting the notch over, so I never bothered to investigate further. Perhaps my rear end wasn't straight 100%...or maybe the Triad was off by a hair (though not likely, since it's made w/ a jig)...or my bracket was off...or maybe it was a little of each.

The other issue you may encounter, as I did, is getting the two sides/tips to sit even/level completely; in my case, again, the two sides were off by nearly an inch, and no amount of fiddling (by Dave or myself) leveled it off.

So, yeah, if you wait until the exhaust is mounted, you can spare yourself some hair pulling.

And don't worry about the side-to-side discrepancy, should you find yourself in the same boat - it's so minor as to be visually imperceptible. The leveling, on the other hand, you can tell, but you'd have to look closely.

Good luck.

-duc
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Apr 19 2009, 09:28 PM) *

Thanks guys and gals.

I think that he can also do a "sleeper" exhaust. The drivers side outlet goes through the notch, and the passenger side goes straght down clearing the valance slightly but not enough to really notice it.
Lavanaut
I did this when I bought a Triad. I assumed the right-side cutout would mirror the left...and it did. smile.gif
r_towle
Ask Dave for two dimensions.
Tailpipe diameter
Center line to center line of the two tailpipes.

Use your HE's to find the center of the exhaust (dont assume its centered on the car)
Lay it out from there...

Rich
RJMII
Just wait until you get back from Iraq for vacation and break out your tape measure. No sense in worrying about it if you can't actually cut the hole yourself, no?
mojorisen914
As RMJII knows; the 916 bumpers aren't on my car yet and probably won't be until later this year.
The 916 bumper has a hole precut on the drivers side. I'm assuming/hoping that when the Triad is mounted, the pipe will go thru the existing hole with no fab needed. If that is the case; then the passenger side would need to be cut for the pipe on that side. So when it is all done and over; when looking at the rear end, both pipes coming out should evenly spaced and look "Right".
Am I hopeing for too much or should this theoretically work?
In order for me to drive the car this time; the muffler definitely has to be on since I don't have a muffler on there at all.

Thanks to all for chiming in.
number6
QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Apr 20 2009, 08:13 PM) *

As RMJII knows; the 916 bumpers aren't on my car yet and probably won't be until later this year.
The 916 bumper has a hole precut on the drivers side. I'm assuming/hoping that when the Triad is mounted, the pipe will go thru the existing hole with no fab needed. If that is the case; then the passenger side would need to be cut for the pipe on that side. So when it is all done and over; when looking at the rear end, both pipes coming out should evenly spaced and look "Right".
Am I hopeing for too much or should this theoretically work?
In order for me to drive the car this time; the muffler definitely has to be on since I don't have a muffler on there at all.

Thanks to all for chiming in.

Oops! It was way late, and I was half asleep when I replied originally, so I completely missed the part where you mentioned 916 bumper! Totally different beast than the short valance, I know...though probably much easier to work with. Plus, given it's shape and coverage area, you can probably get away with quite a bit in terms of the pipes being slightly offset, on both X and Y axes.

All the Triads I've seen have exited at the proper valance notch/location (the valances on 4-cyl cars, at least), so if your 916 cutout is in the stock /4 location, I think you should be OK. The pipes are stouter (2.5" OD, IIRC), so you may need to open up your porthole a bit.

Below are a few photos I have that may give you a better idea, even though they aren't of 916 bumpers. Cars are not mine, so I don't have any add'l info. The green one has the stealth/down-turned 2nd pipe, as someone mentioned above.

-duc

**The beautiful green car is greenie's:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=87869&hl=
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.