Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Separating the CV/Axle from the Rear Hub
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
How in the heck do you separate the CV from the Hub on the rear swing arm, and pull out the axle. I've pounded, panted, and pulled and it won't break free! headbang.gif Thanks for the help. Bill
davep
Have you removed the axle? Do that first.
remove the castle nut from the stub axle, invert and put it back on until the nut is flush with the end, stike vigourously with a BFH.
bandjoey
Thanks. Sounds like I've been pounding on the wrong end. I'll try this tonight.
914rat
Remove the castle nut and cotter pin.The stub axle is splined and has a indentation for a punch to fit in, spray the splined area with PB Blaster let it sit for about a half hour and spray it again.Use a large punch that fits the hole on the stub axle and take a 12# sledge and it will jump right out.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(914rat @ Apr 20 2009, 04:02 PM) *

Remove the castle nut and cotter pin.The stub axle is splined and has a indentation for a punch to fit in, spray the splined area with PB Blaster let it sit for about a half hour and spray it again.Use a large punch that fits the hole on the stub axle and take a 12# sledge and it will jump right out.

That hole is for the center on a lathe. I've seen axles mushroomed by using it as a place to put your drift. The inverting the nut trick is better. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.