Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I found the box of photo's when I bought my 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TJB/914
Hi Guys,

Guess what, I finally found the box of photo's from the first day I purchased my 914 in 1992. The box has many, many photo's of the 914 in construction & now I can put together a proper album.

The first photo is my $400.00 purchase with a little wrinkle on the front fender. Yea, that's right I paid $400 bucks for it. CA rust free with all original stuff. What a deal. w00t.gif

I'll throw in a few teaser's along with some misc. photo's of cars from my past.

Tom popcorn[1].gif
TJB/914
Photo #2 a little more. It's only surface rust from the MI weather. Solid metal.

T
TJB/914
Photo #3

Check those rust free longs. & repairs started. Replaced the fender & hood with new stuff.
T
TJB/914
Photo #4

Check out those stainless steel trim around the wheel wells. I got rid of them & probably should have kept them.

T
TJB/914
photo #5

More restoration stuff.

More later. popcorn[1].gif

T
TJB/914
Photo #6

My old B-Dragster with a Pontiac Eng . popcorn[1].gif I think I ran in the 10's about 120 Mph. but it felt like more.
w00t.gif 1960's stuff.

T
TJB/914
photo #7

I forgot about my Austin Healy?? Piece of junk. lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif Yea, that's me popcorn[1].gif

T
tod914
Tom what an awesome restoration you did. Great shots, thanks for sharing.
TJB/914
Photo # 8

Forgot about my brother's 1957 Chev with a power pac motor.

T
TJB/914
Photo # 9

Forgot about my Dad's 1949 8-N FORD tractor. I wish I still had it.

T
TJB/914
My kids loved my wife's 1975 Buick Conv. when in High School. It had the big 455 cu in engine and would light up the tires anytime you gassed it. I installed loud duel mufflers then she would not drive it.

T
TJB/914
Here's a few old time 914 junk yards that are sadly gone.

That's all for the evening. popcorn[1].gif

T
1970 Neun vierzehn
Tom,
Nice collection of old pics. Thanks for taking us all down Memory Lane and the Nostalgia Road. Even though you can sometimes see the same autos at various car events, somehow, photos of old cars taken "back in the day" have a warmer, personal feel, as the viewer can somehow sense the pride of ownership that is apparent from the very fact the the photographer thought enough of the subject to take the picture to begin with.

Paul
type2man
Gotta love the old school pics.....memory lane...and that dragster must have been one hell of a ride!!!!
TJB/914
Thanks guys for the compliments. I grew up in the 50's and didn't know I was having so much fun till I got older. It was a wonderful time to grow up.

More misc assembly. popcorn[1].gif

T
TJB/914
The heart of the 914, building the motor.

T
TJB/914
This is the happest time and completion of the restoration. My first ride with the hood off was 7-11-98. See the big smile wub.gif Happy, happy, happy with my 914. w00t.gif

Tom
TJB/914
I should have added this photo in because it's pretty!!!!

All this was done over a 5-year time span. I spent over 2,500 of my own man hours along will outside services I could not perform. I replaced everything ( I mean everything is new) with NOS parts that cost me just under $20K in parts alone. Today that would be a much larger #. Today the parts are no longer available. I did all the grung work and detailing. It was a labor of love. As you know my car is currently under a cam (Raby #9550 cam) shaft replacement with new S.S. headers, etc. It's going to be a little better the 2nd time around. I should take my first ride about June of this year due to a busy schedule. All total I have about $20K in my car, because of all the horse trading & selling of parts along the way. It's been a fun ride & I've met a lot of wonderful people.

1st. ride 7-11-98 (finished)
2nd time around ride June 2009

Tom
rick 918-S
That FED is bitchin! thumb3d.gif
PanelBilly
It's going to be a little better the 2nd time around.

I don't think better is the correct word here. More spirted. bit faster, but not better
TJB/914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 20 2009, 06:53 PM) *

It's going to be a little better the 2nd time around.

I don't think better is the correct word here. More spirted. bit faster, but not better

Panel Billy, I like your name, it sounds Southern & your car is beautiful. wub.gif

Remember my 914 was one of the first restorations to get attention. Today you guys are putting out really beautiful stuff with a higher degree of quality and attention to detail. My 914 is getting a pettina look with a little dust from driving. They start to deteriorate the day they leave the restoration shop. It's still nice, but will need a 3rd time around re-do in another 10-years.

There will always be a lurker in the weeds that will come out with a high end 914. It's always those East Coast guys. They are trickie wuss's.

Tom
championgt1
You have a very nice car. I love the pictures of the tractor. My grandfather has the exact same one. He restored his about 3 years ago.
TJB/914
I am finished for the evening. Here's the money shot taken by me the amateur photographer. huh.gif

BTW: championgt1,
I have many happy memories of my Dad's 8-N tractor. He purchased it new & it was barn fresh with the original paint. It had the step up extra transmission & a joy to drive. When my dad passed away we had to sell it. I placed an add in the local paper and people were lining up at 5:30 A.M. to buy it. It was a sad moment when it left.

Tom
Lou W
Tom, thanks for sharing the great pictures, I'm sure I'll be smiling too when I get to drive my car after it's done. beerchug.gif
Gint
Great pics Tom. Thanks for posting them.
TJB/914
Hi Guys,

I want to finish up this post, because a few of you asked for more details.

Here's a few more photo's to complete the story.

Motor in my 1st. restoration.
GA # matching motor 2.0 liter F.I. D-Jet
Euro Pistons
Counter weighted crank
Sig Erickson (spelling??)Cam Note: I am replacing with a Raby Cam #9550 now.
The original cam does not product enough vacuum at idle. (bad decision)
1.7 valve rockers
custom build
lots of head work
lightened flywheel
etc. etc.

Tom
TJB/914
More info on the painting process. Everything was painted in stages.
Car was taped up and each compartment painted in seperate stages
Interior
front trunk & gas tank area.
Rear trunk & engine compartment
Underside
Exterior panels
All doors, hood, trunk lid & anything bolted on was painted seperately.
etc.

Notice the hell hole was good metal, just a little bit of pits from the battery acid. No rust out.

Tom
TJB/914
Here is photo's in the detailing and finishing stages.

Tom
TJB/914
The finished car was a great experience and it allowed me to join in with the bid dogs on the porch.

I was invited to display my 914 along with a varity of Porsche's at the 1998 Meadowbrook Concours d'Elegance. The 904 guy loved my 914 along with all the others. It was a fun event & probably started the rise in interest of 914's. lol-2.gif

Tom

TJB/914
My most cherished event was having my 914 in EXCELLENCE issue # 112 August 2002. Buy a copy and read the story.

Here's a few pics.

Tom bye1.gif
End of Story till you see my June 2009 camshaft redo post. stirthepot.gif
TJB/914
Hi Guys, Again stirthepot.gif

I've been looking at the two "Chrome Yellow" pictures above and want to say yellow is a difficult color to photograph. Chrome yellow or Saturn Yellow the same color has lots of green tint. Light effects the photo's. Here's another color shot showing the color in a closer color shot. It's a great color & my neighbor says you don't need a horn with that color, because they always see you. rolleyes.gif

Now for another thought!! popcorn[1].gif

I did a theoretical estimate ($cost$) to restore a 914 to the standard of my car. wacko.gif

2,500 Man Hrs. @ $25.00 per hr. == $62,500.00 (misc restoration hrs)
600 " " @ $30.00 " " == 18,000.00 (concourse paint) right Scotty??
100 " " @ $50.00 " " == 5,000.00 (engine machine work only)
300 " " @ $30.00 " " == 9,000.00 (misc vendors, etc.)
estimated parts cost for above == 18,000.00 (parts, rubber & all misc)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3,500 total man hours == $112,500.00 total cost to concourse restoration. I think this is a fair & honest estimate!!!

Now: I have $20K into my car because I did all the grunge work, detailing and lots of horse trading on parts. What I am trying to say guys, restoration costs are for the rich only or if you win the lottery. w00t.gif Love those yellow 914's popcorn[1].gif

Soo, I am driving a $100K 914 lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
tod914
Tom your attention to detail is amazing. Beautiful job!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.