Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing a Renshift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
My Renshift came today so I was anxious to get it installed, but I am having issues...I just can't get all the gears at the same time.

Before I started, I was able shift into all 5 gears and R very easily.

It seems I can only get
R, 1st, 2nd and 3rd (no 4th or 5th)
or
2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th (no R or 1st).

There just doesn't seem like there is enough side to side movement to grab all the gears. I've tried numerous combinations of moving the rod different lengths inside the coupler and there is some side to side adjustment with the 3 upper bolts.

I initially placed the transmission in 2nd and set the coupler bolt and tried that as a starting point with no luck.

I'm wondering since the Renshift has a 20% side to side reduction if that could be part of the problem?

Also, I left the throw reduction at the bottom hole (20% reduction), how would the 33% throw affect my issue? It seems to me it shouldn't make any difference.

I'm sure my issue is due to user error, any ideas???
john rogers
Did you make sure and install all new bushings before you put in the shifter, including firewall, coupler, transmission and the cup? If not that could be where the problem is.
SirAndy
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 20 2009, 08:47 PM) *

any ideas???

Did you have your car in neutral when you took out the old shifter?
If not, the left/right and front/back plane will be off.

Just adjust your shifter the same way you'd do with the stock setup.
Loosen bolt, rotate shaft, tighten bolt.

Repeat until you can get into all 6 gears.
bye1.gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
Best way I found to install the Rennshift was to put it in third at the transmission and then take and tighten the shifter in the middle plane. That way you are really tightening it in third and then you will be able to get the other gears. Hope that works.
computers4kids
QUOTE(john rogers @ Apr 20 2009, 09:15 PM) *

Did you make sure and install all new bushings before you put in the shifter, including firewall, coupler, transmission and the cup? If not that could be where the problem is.

All the bushings are in great shape, but I'll double check them. I did have all the gears before I switched shifters.
computers4kids
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 20 2009, 09:30 PM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 20 2009, 08:47 PM) *

any ideas???

Did you have your car in neutral when you took out the old shifter?
If not, the left/right and front/back plane will be off.

Just adjust your shifter the same way you'd do with the stock setup.
Loosen bolt, rotate shaft, tighten bolt.

Repeat until you can get into all 6 gears.
bye1.gif Andy

Actually, no. The first time pulled the shifter while in 2nd gear and installed the Renshift in 2nd gear for a starting point. Now, the planes are all screwed-up since I've re-stabbed the coupler numerous times.

I didn't try rotating the shaft while in the coupler.
computers4kids
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 20 2009, 09:32 PM) *

Best way I found to install the Rennshift was to put it in third at the transmission and then take and tighten the shifter in the middle plane. That way you are really tightening it in third and then you will be able to get the other gears. Hope that works.

Worth a try...thanks. I tried that same procedure in 2nd and also tried it in 4th without luck.

I'll try 3rd tomorrow.
PeeGreen 914
You have to remember the Rennshift has the springs that that return it to the 2-3 plain. I think I had to use a crows foot to reach the bolt to tighten it but it worked perfectly.
Grngoat
I always lock my transmission in third before connecting the linkage. Second would work just the same since the shifter should center in 2-3 gate, but you'll have more difficulty accessing the bolt at the coupler. The one nearest the shifter.

The 20% / 33% reduction should make things better. It's a 20% reduction in throw at the top of the shifter or in other words a 20% increase in throw at the bottom.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.