Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quandary
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
por73914
Ok I have been thinking about this for a couple of days now, as a lot of you know I sell quite a few parts here on 914World. I had been in the transportation business and when layoffs came around I volunteered to go ahead and quit in order to save someone else job ( for awhile anyway) I had been selling Porsche parts on the internet for a few years and had decided to give a go full time. So here is my quandary: I bought a teener this weekend for a very good price, while the owner never listed it here, a board member threw it out there just as a FYI. I did find it on craigslist before it was listed here. My plans were to part it like I do all the teeners I get but this car is way to nice to part and I want to sell it whole. But if I list it here I am sure some will flame me for trying to make a profit and it could even hurt my future sale of parts way after this car is gone. But I believe that even at my asking price it would still be a great deal to whomever bought it as it has a few features that are expensive and the biggest thing it is practically totally rust free. So what would you do? List on craigslist around here where I live and have a board member miss out on a good deal or should I put it on the classifieds and wait for the flames?

Thanks in advance
Paul beerchug.gif
McMark
I think it's complete BS that there are a few people who expect/demand that you give the same deal you get. bs.gif

It's your car now. Do whatever you want with it. What you paid for it is irrelevant.
d914
wash it, fix something and sell it for what you can get for it...New and improved!!!! Some people cant sell some people can.. go for it.. It takes time, effort and abuse to sell a 914 for whats its truely worth.. Some people are not willing to invest that time and effort..
GaroldShaffer
confused24.gif

I too sell parts as a part time side business to help fund my 914 addiction. If someone sold a car to you for chaep and you are able to flip it to make a profit I see no porblem with that. I have bought a few cars with plans to part them, but once I got them home I decided to just clean them up and sell them complete. For those that would flame you, well maybe its because they passed up a chance to do the same as you idea.gif

I say go for it.

YMMV
RON S.

1st rule of business.
You have to turn a profit.

On top of that, contrary to what other people may think. Profit is not a dirty word.

If you picked up an asset for a great deal. Then you turn it over for what you and a potential buyer can come to agreement for.

It's called ''Capitalism'' and it works for everybody.

Ron
Cupomeat
Sell it for a fair value and no one should be able to attack you.

As long as you represent the car fairly and don't gouge/trick the buyer, you should be golden.

Remember that your expertise in identifying and procuring a bargain car is worth something.
GeorgeRud
Did you by chance pick up the one west of Chicago? It was a nice solid roller.
Drums66
QUOTE(RON S. @ Apr 21 2009, 12:03 PM) *

It's called ''Capitalism'' and it works for everybody.

Ron

It is what it is! popcorn[1].gif
por73914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Apr 21 2009, 02:15 PM) *

Did you by chance pick up the one west of Chicago? It was a nice solid roller.

That is the one George...It is a great car, I am putting a 2.0/4 in it...
type47
I would offer the car to a member of any of the 914 sites to give an interested party first crack.
Sleepin
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Apr 21 2009, 01:13 PM) *

Remember that your expertise in identifying and procuring a bargain car is worth something.

agree.gif

Profit is a core of capitalism. I think it would actually be more if a dis-service to not offer it to the 914 community.

My personal thanks for not chopping up a 914 that could be made roadworthy!
schreiber
I promise not to flame you if you list it here
beerchug.gif
jmill
I saw the car I wanted on Craigslist. It was gone before I could buy it. The guy who bought it was going to chop it up for parts like you. It had no rust on it so he couldn't see himself cutting it up. He stated that in an ad here and asked a price higher than he bought it for. The car was worth it. I tripped 3 times running for the phone to buy it. I bought it from him, he made a nice profit and I'm happy as hell.

You would make a profit chopping it up for parts. Why not save one and make a profit. confused24.gif
por73914
QUOTE(jmill @ Apr 21 2009, 02:46 PM) *

I saw the car I wanted on Craigslist. It was gone before I could buy it. The guy who bought it was going to chop it up for parts like you. It had no rust on it so he couldn't see himself cutting it up. He stated that in an ad here and asked a price higher than he bought it for. The car was worth it. I tripped 3 times running for the phone to buy it. I bought it from him, he made a nice profit and I'm happy as hell.

You would make a profit chopping it up for parts. Why not save one and make a profit. confused24.gif

There is no way I could cut this car up...that would be a crime! ar15.gif
MBowman325
If it's the one I'd mentioned, and I saw you selling it for 6k after paint body work or 3k+ after fixing the carbs and trans, I wouldn't fault you.

(Numbers pulled from thin air and not intended to be a representation of any work, implied or otherwise)

If you tried to sell it for 15k after filling it up with gas, I might scratch my head. (I wouldn't say anything - people spend the money on the damnested things sometimes)

My Aero, a gentleman that I thought was (and had considered) a friend had purchased it for about 1500 less than what I bought it from him for. I was aware of that when I bought it, but I was aware of some of the work he'd done (not a whole lot, but some). I was OK with that. I wasn't OK of him hiding the rust that I found later from me. Alas, he never responded to my mild-mannered request for info and we've not spoken since.

You should turn a profit. You shouldn't gouge.

Here's hoping it pans out.
carr914
I once bought a part for $200, sold it for $2,400. Was it my fault I sold it for what it was worth? - No. It was the fault of the guy that sold it too cheap.

Another example, 22 years ago, a neighbor & Professional Football Player (if you could call the Buccaneers of those years Professionals) was selling his 1976 914 2.0. It had been flared & painted in the previous year. He was asking $5,000. A friend of mine was interested, but he never had any money and couldn't get the deal done. I confirmed this with him in a phone conversation and he said he wasn't going to persue it anymore. I saw my neighbor a couple of days later and the car came up. He was moving (traded, cut or something from the Bucs), needed the car gone and told me he'd sell to me for $2,000. I bought it. My friend called me up when he heard from the mechanic of the car that I had bought it and for how much. He called me every name in the book and then demanded I sell him the car for what I paid for it, all the time swearing at me. Needless to say, I didn't sell it to him.

T.C.
por73914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 21 2009, 03:01 PM) *

I once bought a part for $200, sold it for $2,400. Was it my fault I sold it for what it was worth? - No. It was the fault of the guy that sold it too cheap.

T.C.

I totally agree! The thing is the guy you sold it to for 2400.00 did not know you paid 200 for it...once the car is posted it would not be hard to figure ut what I paid for it. That is what this problem is all about. headbang.gif
markb
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Apr 21 2009, 10:49 AM) *

confused24.gif

I too sell parts as a part time side business to help fund my 914 addiction. If someone sold a car to you for chaep and you are able to flip it to make a profit I see no porblem with that. I have bought a few cars with plans to part them, but once I got them home I decided to just clean them up and sell them complete. For those that would flame you, well maybe its because they passed up a chance to do the same as you idea.gif

I say go for it.

YMMV

agree.gif
bandjoey
av-943.gif popcorn[1].gif WILL YOU HURRY UP AND POST PICTURES SO WE CAN BUY THE CAR ALREADY!
smilie_pokal.gif biggrin.gif happy11.gif
por73914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Apr 21 2009, 03:11 PM) *

av-943.gif popcorn[1].gif WILL YOU HURRY UP AND POST PICTURES SO WE CAN BUY THE CAR ALREADY!

Here is the car...Now the cat is out of the bag
Click to view attachment
schreiber
QUOTE(por73914 @ Apr 21 2009, 03:16 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Sleepin
QUOTE(por73914 @ Apr 21 2009, 02:16 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Absolutely worthless! You should just sell it to me for scrap. I will give you $500 for you to ship it to me! lol-2.gif
por73914
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Apr 21 2009, 03:22 PM) *

QUOTE(por73914 @ Apr 21 2009, 02:16 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Absolutely worthless! You should just sell it to me for scrap. I will give you $500 for you to ship it to me! lol-2.gif

That sound pretty good to me av-943.gif I will have to cut in little pieces to get it there sawzall-smiley.gif
echocanyons
Situations like this happen, I have done something similar myself.
I say if you got it for a good deal and make some cash from selling it that is fine.

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(por73914 @ Apr 21 2009, 12:16 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I seen that car also. Had the same thoughts as you.
por73914
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Apr 21 2009, 03:32 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I seen that car also. Had the same thoughts as you.

It was a heck of a lot closer to you! driving.gif
Rav914
As long as you're not blatantly dishonest (lying), Selling it for a price agreeable to you perfectly acceptable. If that's a profit, so be it.

I've never understood opinions to the contrary.
sww914
OT, but please lower the front of that thing. It looks like a bulldozer with the blade up. smile.gif
Heeltoe914
I will still buy parts from you no matter. Its your effort to get it and buy it improve it and you should make some $$$ on it.
orange914
i think we all agree, thats much to nice to take off the road. fix it where needed and make a honest profit. it keeps one more on the road, it not only helps you and the new buyer, it helps all the 914 owners car values

mike
bandjoey
Yellow is of course the slowest color in the 914 lineup. :-))
bobhasissues

Click to view attachment

Dibs. How much?
r_towle
I will probably get some crap, but here goes.
I would suggest that you do nothing to it and sell it as it sits for a profit. Done.
If you put a 2.0 liter motor in it...well thats a 1000 dollar used motor or up to a 5k rebuilt motor.
Then there is your time invested.

Now you can sell the car for the following.
Sell car now or after the work

Now---pickup car---sell for 1000 dollar profit
OR
add motor, add time, etc ----sell for 1000 dollar profit.

Both scenarios need to be thought through.
If you can make the same profit and save your time and a motor....the math is clear to me from a business point of view.

Remember, you bought it...someone else may also buy it...just like it sits.

Rich
por73914
Guys thanks for all the input I do really appreciate it. The 914 will be in the classifieds with in the next couple of days. You guys are great thanks again.

Paul
Gint
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 21 2009, 12:45 PM) *
I think it's complete BS that there are a few people who expect/demand that you give the same deal you get. bs.gif

It's your car now. Do whatever you want with it. What you paid for it is irrelevant.
agree.gif completely. I see some pretty funky demands and rants in the classifieds around here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.