Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: What could cause brakes to squeal when you're NOT using them?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dbgriffith75
It's happening on a friends car. I know if you're using them, the squeal is from the indicator tab rubbing on the rotor, but I've never heard of them squealing when you're not using the brakes.

It's a Mitsubishi Galant- 2003 but I'm not sure on the year.

Thanks in advance!
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ Apr 21 2009, 03:34 PM) *

It's happening on a friends car. I know if you're using them, the squeal is from the indicator tab rubbing on the rotor, but I've never heard of them squealing when you're not using the brakes.

It's a Mitsubishi Galant- 2003 but I'm not sure on the year.

Thanks in advance!

when i first got my proter fields they squelled a bit when backing up.. this lasted for a week or so.. could be your bearings??
RJMII
A brake squealer. =o) your pads are about shot. They put this metal tab on at a wear line to intentionally annoy the hell out of you to get you to take it to a mechanic. (or to alert someone 'in the know' that the brakes need replaced)

edit I should have read the WHOLE post first. lol:
The indicator tab that you mention is staying too close to the rotor when he/she lets off of the brake; the fluid doesn't go back up into the reservoir or master cylinder...
SirAndy
Sticky pistons ...
ConeDodger
When brake pads vibrate at very high rate they squeal. One thing that some mechanics do is to spray the back of the pad with an anti-squeal like gel that prevents this. It is possible that your friend is missing a shim in his brakes called an anti-squeal shim as well. I had a number of Datsun Z cars over the years that squealed as you drove particularly at slow speeds and found that the small metal anti-squeal shim was gone.
type2man
If your brakes are indeed down to the wear indicators, then the brakes squeal when youre not using them because the pad material wears out quicker than the steel on the squealer so when you are driving it, it will squeal no matter what. If you do have thickness on the pads, then I would resurface the rotors first and see if you get a squeal if not then buy mitsubishi pads and the problem should go away...
orange914
QUOTE(type2man @ Apr 21 2009, 04:16 PM) *

If your brakes are indeed down to the wear indicators, then the brakes squeal when youre not using them because the pad material wears out quicker than the steel on the squealer so when you are driving it, it will squeal no matter what.

agree.gif
does he have heavy metalic pads or are the disc glazed?
dbgriffith75
Thanks for the advice guys.

Orange914- I don't know for sure what kind of pads are on the car- we'll have to get things apart to find out.
orange914
QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ Apr 21 2009, 04:56 PM) *

Thanks for the advice guys.

Orange914- I don't know for sure what kind of pads are on the car- we'll have to get things apart to find out.

if you have them off it would be good to deglaze the pads & rotors with a scotch brite pad. i'd put some anti-squeel on the back side too. i've seen high metalic pads rust just enough to make goobs of noise until it's run off. has yours sat long this winter?
r_towle
I had the retaine spring middle rivet break and then the spring started to rub against the top of the rotor.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.