Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Started my 914 for the 1st time today!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcambo7
So I am covered in dirt and fuel and I feel great! piratenanner.gif My 914 started up today for the first time. aktion035.gif Took a few times after priming it through the pump and than putting fuel into the throttle body but it runs. It does idle too high right now and that is the next problem I need to fix. headbang.gif I tried adjusting the idle control screw. That didn't seem to work. Oh well...I was just so excited to hear it actually start and run instead of conking out like it did the first like 10 or so tries. aktion035.gif piratenanner.gif I will be uploading a youtube vid of it and posting the link for everyone to see it.
aktion035.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif drunk.gif aktion035.gif
koozy
If the air bleed screw has no effect on idle speed your idle mixture is likely lean. Try turning the ECU knob clockwise, one click at a time and readjust the air bleed screw until you get the proper idle speed. A CO meter is best but this method works too. If you find the idle speed knob has no effect the throttle switch may be misadjusted.
jcambo7
QUOTE(koozy @ Apr 22 2009, 12:44 AM) *

If the air bleed screw has no effect on idle speed your idle mixture is likely lean. Try turning the ECU knob clockwise, one click at a time and readjust the air bleed screw until you get the proper idle speed. A CO meter is best but this method works too. If you find the idle speed knob has no effect the throttle switch may be misadjusted.

Ok, please explain to me where the ECU knob is if you don't mind.
PeeGreen 914
piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif w00t.gif
koozy
The ECU knob is on the ECU... ha ha ha

OK, sorry... it was too easy. The ECU is the fuel injection computer thing next to the battery. It has a knob on top. It adjusts the mixture at idle.
koozy
BTW: Congrats on getting it started.
jcambo7
QUOTE(koozy @ Apr 22 2009, 01:06 AM) *

BTW: Congrats on getting it started.

Ok, that's what I thought it was. I will try that tomorrow if I have time to do that. We will see. Thanks very much. I was so excited. I have been working on the car since 3:30pm on Tuesday. Put the stainless fuel lines I recieved today from tangerine racing and connect all the other fuel stuff back up. Finally got her running around 10:30pm. Had to fix a few fuel leaks though but she started! piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 22 2009, 01:01 AM) *

piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif w00t.gif

I know Jon. I was so excited to hear her finally start up and not die right away. Greatest sound ever...and you r one of the few that has gotten to hear it. I will be getting that video loaded up on youtube soon once it loads into my video editor. The car has been sitting for 2 years and that feeling of starting her up and listening to it roar to life was AMAZING!
drunk.gif piratenanner.gif driving.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif drooley.gif biggrin.gif
Grelber
It's happy dance time! piratenanner.gif

Looks like you're on target for Talimena.

por73914
QUOTE(Grelber @ Apr 22 2009, 08:15 AM) *

Whens Talimena? I want to go... driving.gif
Sleepin
Sweet! Good job man! I was rooting for you!
jcambo7
QUOTE(por73914 @ Apr 22 2009, 09:02 AM) *

Whens Talimena? I want to go... driving.gif

It's May 15th, 16th, & 17th. Here is the link to the Talimena Thread
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=93861
dw914er
biggrin.gif

happy dance time
jcambo7
Here is the youtube vid link I recorded of it running yesterday!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cagcRnNSx2k
jcambo7

It so is happy dance time dancinnanner.gif piratenanner.gif rocking nana.gif mueba.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Apr 22 2009, 09:25 AM) *

Sweet! Good job man! I was rooting for you!

Thanks man. The support is awesome.
PeeGreen 914
James, check the timing asap.
jcambo7
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 22 2009, 12:18 PM) *

James, check the timing asap.

Y? Do u think the timing is off and that's y its idling too high? Or check it just as a pre-cuationary? confused24.gif
PeeGreen 914
Yes, it can also make it hard to start like the sound it was making before it caught. So find someone that knows how to set timing and get it done beerchug.gif
PanelBilly
All right now enough of the happy dance, you've heard it run, so nows the time to put it up one jack stands and take it apart
championgt1
agree.gif with Jon. Get the timing checked right away. From the video that idle is very high. How high was it 3 or 4 thousand rpm? Check for a MAJOR vacuum leak. When my car idled that high I chased all the vacuum lines and it ended up being a cracked intake plenum. Good luck. Glad you got it running. A little fine tuning and you are there.
swl
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 22 2009, 03:58 PM) *

Yes, it can also make it hard to start like the sound it was making before it caught. So find someone that knows how to set timing and get it done beerchug.gif

agree.gif
other culprits can be one of the vacuum hoses off - dumps air into the plenum. Don't go messing with the ECU until you check out both of them.
jcambo7
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Apr 22 2009, 08:26 PM) *

agree.gif with Jon. Get the timing checked right away. From the video that idle is very high. How high was it 3 or 4 thousand rpm? Check for a MAJOR vacuum leak. When my car idled that high I chased all the vacuum lines and it ended up being a cracked intake plenum. Good luck. Glad you got it running. A little fine tuning and you are there.

I actually don't know what it was idling at at all. My tach isn't hooked up all the way yet. Another thing to fix... headbang.gif I am assuming its around 5 to 6 thousand rpm's. I will definitely check for a vacuum leak and it looks like I need a timing light. I need to find out where the intake plenum is too.
Sleepin
IPB Image

The black thing that your intake runners get connected to. (this is a pic of one upside down) Plenty of chances for a vaccum leak there. wink.gif
McMark
Make sure you have a throttle return spring on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.