Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
I am getting really close to painting my car and have been having some thoughts about painting with a matte color, something different, yet can look really slick in my opinion. I was thinking of something like this, same color. what do you guys think?
IPB Image
slow914
Talk to TC 914-8, the only 914 ive seen with balls big enough to try it and it looks great, took me a minute to notice it.

The downside of course is that if the paint job comes out dirty you have to leave it and if it gets all scratched you have to leave it however neither will be as noticeable because of the matte. Problem is when you try to buff on it you will shine it up and then its over haha need more matte clear. Good luck, personally I like the idea of a dark green matte

Click to view attachment
DBCooper
Ohhh...!!! Matte green with side pipes and FLAMES! Cool.
jimkelly
i'd say the blue car is - satin - not matte
carr914
I like the idea. The only downside is if you want to get rid of the car, the chances of someone else with your same preference will be slim.

Go to a Harley Dealership and ask them about the care & maintenance of this paint treatment. They now have a bunch of colors in Satin or Matte.

T.C.

of course, if I ever had the cohines to do it, it would be Flat Black

Click to view attachment

charliew
I built a 3/4 ton suburban for towing and bumming around like going back and forth to the deer lease and such. When I got some decent body panels on it I painted it with medium od green with a enamel that I got from a old military supply place in College Station, TX. Brent Mullins, check out his military collection- http://www.mullinsjeepparts.com/BMJP+Collection of course is flat and when I got through it would show some mars it got when it brushed into tree limbs on the ranch roads. To make it look ok I scotchbrited the sides and gave it a even texture and it looks ok again. The gallon of good enamel is 25.00 if you buy 4 gallons it's 20.00 so it is good for my purposes on hunting stuff. It seems to hold up very good as we go to a yearly old military weekend at the place and most everything there is painted with one of the three shades of the od. You should see them fire all the old military weapons. Blanks of course.

My first hot rod had a primered paint job. It got washed almost every day. I think semigloss paints are neat but everyones taste is different. One thing for sure is a duller gloss or a paint with more orangepeel will not show body imperfections nearly as well as a high gloss finish.
turnaround89
Thats kind of a bonus too, im an amateur at bodywork and i have gotten the car as straight to my abilities as possible. not showing some of the flaws would be nice.
ruddyboys
There's someone on this board that painted his car flat black with a satin clear coat, looks great. Do a search for stealth 914.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(ruddyboys @ Apr 22 2009, 01:10 PM) *

There's someone on this board that painted his car flat black with a satin clear coat, looks great. Do a search for stealth 914.

Rods car:

IPB Image

Flat can look killer.
Flat OD Green might look awesome on a 914, as well as any of the blade or splinter camo patterns. Not woodland, though.

Zach
turnaround89
What is Flat OD green?

How exactly do you get a flat/matte finish, is there no clear coat after the color is put on the car?
RJMII
http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksflatz.aspx

I've got this bookmarked... someone sent it to me when I was asking about flat colors for my car.

I'm torn between that flat orange and flat black. Paint will be after I get the car running again, though. "turbo first, color me later." - my 914
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Apr 22 2009, 02:29 PM) *

What is Flat OD green?

How exactly do you get a flat/matte finish, is there no clear coat after the color is put on the car?

IPB Image

You just buy flat or matte paint. Gillespi is the brand that most of the military truck guys use.

Personally, I think an OD 914 would look awesome. But, I'm kinda weird.

Zach
Derek Seymour
Another option would be to do it in vinyl. That's what is on the hood and roof of this car.
IPB Image
byndbad914
the Bugatti is satin (confirming what someone else stated).

Matte colors are hard to maintain and get even. It can be done tho'. I was going to do mine flat black but as you see, it has become popular to paint cars flats over the passed few years, so I decided to not do that and went with satin, which is now becoming popular.

So I 2-toned mine, used ultra flat camo green on top, semi-flat black on the bottom, then fully buffed it out. It creates a kinda cool sheen IMO. This was all done with rattle cans since race cars get pretty beat up at the track with rocks - had to do it again I would buy a gun and shoot it in the garage, then just touch up with the rattles.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
turnaround89
Love the look of the satin black byndbad914, i might have to do that, but still keep the color blue.
byndbad914
the blue would look good I think. Might even consider trying a test patch and polishing it out to see how that looks.

You can do mattes and satins in single step or 2 step by using a base color and a satin or matte clear coat. I suspect if you want to buff it out for a sheen like mine you would have to do a single stage (I dunno if a matte/satin clear coat would buff up or not). Single stages are cheaper anyway.

The whole flat/satin craze has brought a new level to the paints - you can check out House of Kolor for instance and they have a whole line of "flatz" and so forth - you know something is "played out" when z's start showing up in the name lol-2.gif - but they certainly have a huge variety of paints available to do the satin look!

I dig the look of flats and satins. When I was a kid in the 70s and 80s I would paint cars flat and semi colors and then clear coat them, etc. and is why I always wanted to do something like that with a car. I did have my first car in primer back in the 80s but that is a real bear to keep up - recent within a couple years a guy had a primer 911 in Excellence and discussed how he maintained the look - I think he washed the car with scotchbrite or something but can't recall for sure. Takes the primer down a bit each time you wash it tho'.
scotty b
satin/matte can be had as a single stage or a 2 stage paint. Basically all it is is a standard gloss paint with flattener added to it. I have used a matte cleared before, look at mid 90's Mercedes bumpers. They are done body color with a matte clear. you can also use a black called RALEY MATTE. It is a single stage that is made specifically for the rally stripes and panel inserts on 70's muscle cars. Great stuff I use it ALOT
charliew
I had a coupla 69 mach 1 fords, the first one jumped on it's roof one night. They had the matte black insert in the hood. I have two different jeep trucks that one has a flatener added to single stage ppg brown and I have a scout II that I did hunter green with a flatner. The flatner added method is hard to get the same flatness unless it is all painted at the same time. Also the ppg paint guy said I was killing the strength of the paint as it would become porous the more flatner I added. It ended up making twice as much paint to get the satin look I wanted.

When the scout got too dull I wiped it down with scotchbrite and then went over it with armorall. It held up pretty good till my son got tboned pulling out on the hwyway. It was bent in the middle but I drove it home. The driver of the car on the hyway said she was getting a piece of pizza from someone in the back seat. It was my son's fault though he was 16 and he hasn't had one since. I'm just so glad he wasn't in his 88 fiero.
McMark
I love the look of satin/matte paint jobs. But I would never want my can painted that way. First and foremost, because it'll undeniably hurt the resale value. And secondly, I absolutely know I would get tired of it and would wish I had gone with gloss.

But they do look cool when it's someone else's car! cool.gif
championgt1
aktion035.gif

turnaround89
Not planning on selling the car, so resale value doesn't matter to me. I understand the point, theres only a select few people who would want a satin finish, and only a select few of that few that want a 914 with a satin finish.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.