Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Updating the old floppy seatbelts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nsr-jamie
Hello, I did a short search and didn't really come up with much. I have a 72 914 with the old floppy belts and the passenger side looks really rough. I would like to replace them with new belts. I like the looks and function of the late model retractable belts. Has anybody done a conversion like this? Do they bolt in? Is fabrication needed or some welding? If anybody has some info would be cool. Thank you so much

Jamie
jimkelly
my 1972 914 not pretty to say the least - it already had retractables that worked poorly - i installed 944 belts, had to drill larger the pin hole so the 944 retractors can be bolted to the firewall.
Gint
The early cars (the 70 models at least) did not have a recessed pocket in the bulkhead to accommodate the size of the later belts' retractor assemblies. Doesn't mean the later belts won't bolt up, but the stock backpad likely won't fit if later retractable belts are installed in an early car without modifying the bulkhead or the backpad.
ConeDodger
PRS914 rebuilds them. I'm not sure if he has time right now but you could ping him and ask...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 22 2009, 05:35 AM) *

The early cars (the 70 models at least) did not have a recessed pocket in the bulkhead to accommodate the size of the later belts' retractor assemblies. Doesn't mean the later belts won't bolt up, but the stock backpad likely won't fit if later retractable belts are installed in an early car without modifying the bulkhead or the backpad.

agree.gif

Later cars have a recess in the firewall to accept the retractor (is that a word?) as well as a reinforcement piece that goes on the backside.
Changing a early car to the later style belts would involve some sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif ...

I like the early belts better anyways, but i'm weird ...
biggrin.gif Andy
TonyAKAVW
I experienced this firewall recess issue on my 70 car and have yet to chagne them. I'm probably going to replace them with stuff from this place:

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/seatbelts.html

-Tony
TonyAKAVW
I ordered a set of these belts today so I'll post here whn I get them installed. Theya re supposed to be here within a day or two, so this weekend I'll try to get them installed.

-Tony
GeorgeRud
After carefully removing and wrapping the original Repa nonretracting seatbelts on my -6 (of course you have to save all the original parts!), I installed the retractable ones that Auto Atlanta sells. The retracting mechanism is mounted to the upper seatbelt mounting bolt, so you don't have to do any modifications to the body, and they work great.

Unless you're going to weld in the proper mounts, make your life easy!

shelby/914
Tony, hope you get some good pix of the product and the installation. Been think I should be doing the same thing. Wonder how strong 30+ year old webbing really is.
Rav914
I bought a set of 3-point VW belts from Wolfsburg West. Easy to install, chrome and work much better than the originals. You can get red, black, and Beige (I think)

Of course the originals are tucked in a box.

number6
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 22 2009, 08:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 22 2009, 05:35 AM) *

agree.gif

Later cars have a recess in the firewall to accept the retractor (is that a word?) as well as a reinforcement piece that goes on the backside.
Changing a early car to the later style belts would involve some sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif ...

I like the early belts better anyways, but i'm weird ...
biggrin.gif Andy

I think I'm converting to your way of thinking, Andy. The early belts really annoyed me at first, but now that I've logged some time with them, they are definitely growing on me!

As for conversion... there are aftermarket kits (with more compact reels, I assume, to fit w/o modding). AutoAtlanta has one in their catalog (though not online, that I can find). I just got a NOS kit from the good CAMP Counselor but don't recall who made it (I think they are no longer in business). Will snap some pix and scan the instructions to share when I'm next up at CAMP.

Personally, I find the aftermarket pieces extremely aesthetically-displeasing (the retractable conversion kits, that is - all 2 that I've seen smile.gif ). They just look cheap, plasticky, and out of place. If I were to convert, I would either make the necessary mods for the factory, later belts...or I would swap the aftermarket kit's buckles and receivers with factory ones, which should duplicate the stock look.

-duc
McMark
Yup, the early 70/71 cars aren't a bolt in for later seat belts.

I have original metal to convert an early car if anyone is interested (cut/weld).
rjames
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Apr 22 2009, 09:41 PM) *

I bought a set of 3-point VW belts from Wolfsburg West. Easy to install, chrome and work much better than the originals. You can get red, black, and Beige (I think)

Of course the originals are tucked in a box.
Click to view attachment

Do you have a picture of the belt installed? What mods (if any) did yo have to do to install it? The price ($32) makes it an attractive alternative. I have a later car that I want to replace the barely functioning retractable belts.
TonyAKAVW
The new belts are here, and I managed to get the driver's side installed. Took about 30 minutes. I will post pictures later. Seems to hold me in place better than the stock ones.

-Tony
Dave_Darling
The OP has a 72, which should have the provisions for the inertia-reel seatbelts already. Up through 71 the firewall has to be modified, but the 72s (even the ones that came without retractable belts) do not.

--DD
TonyAKAVW
As promied, pictures of the seatbelt installation. These aer seatbelts from Wesco Performance.

A couple notes:
1. The shoulder bolts ued in the 914 are larger than the holes on the new seatbelts. The good news is that the thread is the same for the new hardware, so if you don't need shoulder bolts for the lap belt, you can do what I did and use the new hardware that comes with the seatbelts.

2. Make sure and retain the thick washers used in the OEM seat belt installation. There needs to be some space between the seatbelt mounting plates and the body of the car.

3. If you retain the OEM hardware and enlarge the holes, you can retain the plastic cover that goes over the shoulder strap bolt up by your shoulder. I didn't care, but it might be a good measure of safety to not have an exposed bolt where your head may be flying around in an accident. I will probably do something to change that...

TonyAKAVW
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Apr 22 2009, 07:12 AM) *

my 1972 914 not pretty to say the least - it already had retractables that worked poorly - i installed 944 belts, had to drill larger the pin hole so the 944 retractors can be bolted to the firewall.

Can you expand upon this? First off does anyone know what the "pin hole" is? and if the 944 retractors work then does that mean the 968 retractors would work as well?

I'm looking at potentially installing new red 968 belts in my 914 but would need to source the matching reciever on the floor as well...

If anyone else has installed 944/968 belts please chime in! Thanks. biggrin.gif
GeorgeRud
Auto Atlanta has (had?) a nice set of retractable belts for the early style cars. The retactor is positioned by the upper seatbelt mounting point.
biosurfer1
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 25 2009, 06:49 AM) *

The OP has a 72, which should have the provisions for the inertia-reel seatbelts already. Up through 71 the firewall has to be modified, but the 72s (even the ones that came without retractable belts) do not.

--DD

I know this thread is old but that clears up a lot for me Dave. I also have a 72 with non-retractable belts but saw there was a provision for them...never knew why. Now I do biggrin.gif
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jun 22 2010, 11:07 PM) *

Auto Atlanta has (had?) a nice set of retractable belts for the early style cars. The retactor is positioned by the upper seatbelt mounting point.

Thanks for the suggestion but I should have clarified my 72' 914 is a few VIN numbers after they switched to retractable belts so I'm trying to see how much of a straight forward install 924/944/968 belts are?

I was looking at the red seatbelts from a shop across the pond in the UK but from the less than ideal photos it appears they aren't factory Porsche reels or recievers? If that's the case I'll just skip them since it looks like they have the side push button release and I prefer the top push-down style OEM 944 release anyway. The ends on the seatbelts from the UK shop appear to have a weird non-factory Porsche notch in them to which makes me wonder further?

http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/acatalog/pors...rior_decor.html

As much as red seatbelts might be cool (modern GT3 RS style!) if they aren't factory Porsche and have those odd recievers I'll just default to the black ones.

Any 924/944/968 owners in the house to help? I have no idea where to source new black seatbelts and recievers here in the USA!?
GeorgeRud
Here in the midwest, I've had good luck contacting Brad Mayeur at 914Ltd. in Peoria, Il. He has a nice selection of used 914 parts, and often can help you with these sorts of parts.

I would also think that Auto Atlanta might have some available as they have used parts for both 914s and 944s. If you have the reciever mounting area for the retractable belts, they are the easiest way to go, and you'll like them a lot better than the old, floppy ones.
petertoner
These belts have the retractor at the top of the pillar rather than on the floor. Solves the space issue on '72 and earlier cars - great price too!

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Pors...r%20Accessories
Root_Werks
I didn't do the install, but mine has 944 units. They sure seem to fit, look and work perfect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.