Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody had their Bumpers Re-chromed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ellisor3
Has anyone had any experience with a chrome shop. Looking to have my bumbers chromed and the tit holes filled ect. Looked in member vendors and did not find any.
I got a quote from Restoration Chrome of $220 for each bumper, seems reasonable but wanted to see if anyone had other experiences.

Any photos ??
Cost??

Thanks
James
ConeDodger
When I backdated my bumpers I got a set that were in decent but not perfect shape from Lafluer another member who is local to me. I took them to a small rechroming shop along with a set for my 240Z. I think it was $700 or so for all four.
Your price is very good. The work they do can be very good. The street rod guys refer to a process called triple chrome. I am not sure what that means but you have seen street rods right? Here is a pic of my front bumper. lol-2.gif
BIGKAT_83
I got a rear bumper holes filled and triple chrome plated in Atlanta at Best metal polishing for $300

Bob
davesprinkle
This sounds like a reasonable price. I paid about $350 to get a front bumper straightened and rechromed. Like paint jobs and heart surgery, you probably don't want to shop on price alone. Straightening a bumper takes time and you need to pay these guys for the effort or they'll cut corners.

"Triple-chrome" doesn't have any special meaning -- it's the standard chrome plating process, which involves plating with 3 layers:

1. A fairly thick layer of copper. This is polished to a very high shine. Copper is soft and polishes easily.
2. Thin layer of nickel. This covers the copper, effectively turning it silver. The result is a very subtle straw-colored plating.
3. Very thin layer of chrome. This protects the nickel from oxidation and abrasion, and also adds a slightly "bluer" or "whiter" color.

That's it.
smg914
James,
Where is "Restoration Chrome" located?
Steve
carr914
Yeah, What Steve said. Where are these guys?

T.C.
underthetire
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 22 2009, 07:10 AM) *

When I backdated my bumpers I got a set that were in decent but not perfect shape from Lafluer another member who is local to me. I took them to a small rechroming shop along with a set for my 240Z. I think it was $700 or so for all four.
Your price is very good. The work they do can be very good. The street rod guys refer to a process called triple chrome. I am not sure what that means but you have seen street rods right? Here is a pic of my front bumper. lol-2.gif

That bumper doesn't look level to me? poke.gif
Jeffs9146
I did the ones on the 74 that I sold to James West! It was $250 each but they looked great!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(underthetire @ Apr 22 2009, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 22 2009, 07:10 AM) *

That bumper doesn't look level to me? poke.gif

Stock swaybars... Wouldn't happen with the Tarret Bar that is in there now. biggrin.gif
ellisor3
QUOTE(smg914 @ Apr 22 2009, 01:35 PM) *

James,
Where is "Restoration Chrome" located?
Steve

It is in Spokane, that is why I thought someone would know these guys.

James
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.