Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just rebuilt my Transmission...Advice?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
budman5201
ALL 5 new syncros, 2 new sliders, adjusted per specs...... What are the symptoms of this rebuild? VERY Hard to shift at first? Its not in a running car yet, but mounted under it. It shifts VERY hard, will this get better as everything gets worn in? How long does that take?

Oh forgot to meantion, lubed up gears before install and shifted tough but fine through all gears on bench. But installed so far and tried it with no oil in tranny yet. I am assuming it will get a little easier with oil, but WOW it is stiff

thanks for your advice smile.gif
driving.gif

sww914
It will get a lot better as soon as you use it a little bit. It feels worse with a short shifter if you have one.
HAM Inc
Use Swepco gear lube and if your linkage is in good shape you'll have a great shifting 914!
Cap'n Krusty
You "lubed the gears"? What does that mean?

While we're at it, don't fall for the lure of the Swepco cult, unless you have some extra money you don't mind throwing away. Plain old GL5 will do the trick. Especially avoid ANY additive intended to make things "slicker", like MoSo2.

The Cap'n
budman5201
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 23 2009, 07:22 AM) *

You "lubed the gears"? What does that mean?

While we're at it, don't fall for the lure of the Swepco cult, unless you have some extra money you don't mind throwing away. Plain old GL5 will do the trick. Especially avoid ANY additive intended to make things "slicker", like MoSo2.

The Cap'n

Lubed the gears means I just put a little gear oil on them so when they were on my bench i could flip through the gears and make sure my adjustments were cool.

I have Valvoline Gear synthetic oil is that cool?

Oh no linkage, cableshift. It felt great before, i could litterally "feel"every worn dogtooth. Thats why i dove into it. I love it compared to stock.
yeahmag
No synthetic... Switch to cheap, dino oil or Swepco.

Dr Evil
No swepco, no synthetic. Use cheap 90w GL5 and enjoy. The gears will shift hard at first. If you prelube, prelube the slider and synchro rings.
SGB
Yep- the rebuild the Doc did for me about 1 1/2 years ago was really stiff at first. I was worried. It sweetened up pretty soon- 6 weeks maybe, and is still nice and snappy now after at least 5000 miles. You want it to be like cold honey right now.
Red-Beard
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 23 2009, 03:57 PM) *

No swepco, no synthetic. Use cheap 90w GL5 and enjoy. The gears will shift hard at first. If you prelube, prelube the slider and synchro rings.

Of course you know that I run synthetic...
Dr Evil
Ya, but you are rich KMA.gif tongue.gif
Red-Beard
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 24 2009, 09:48 AM) *

And someday, if you stop spending money rebuilding cars, you will be too!
budman5201
QUOTE(Red-Beard @ Apr 24 2009, 11:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 24 2009, 09:48 AM) *

And someday, if you stop spending money rebuilding cars, you will be too!

I just used a spare transmission case and cut a hole out the side of it to ALIGN the gears again.(Clay Perrine trick on this site) This made the job "easy". I could literally see exactly if my forks were interfering with each other through all gear selections. . Once set. I pulled the stack out of my temporary case and WHA LA!!! Very nice shifting in my car now (by hand of course and stiff) I guess I didnt have the 4/5 gear fork set right. Now all of them are perfect.

Thanks Dr. Evil for your advice. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.