Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel filter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silverteener

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new fuel filter for my 72 and the one from AA is square (and is $17.71). The one on Pelican is round (and is $7.50). Obviously I want the cheaper one but why is there such a difference? I'm sure they are different manufacturers but 10 dollars more for AA's seems alot. Any info on these??

Thanks

Scott
SirAndy
Item #9 in the PET, looks like all pre '75 used the square filter mounted in the rear.

Part#: E.311.133.511.D

Kraftstoffilter für Modell 914-4, 1.7/1.8/2.0

bye1.gif Andy

dr914@autoatlanta.com
the square one is the original and mounts nicely in the suspension cradle. The round is an aftermarket and is much cheaper to purchase. It will work fine though if you are on a budget but not mount as nicely. All 914s use a square fuel filter
underthetire
If you don't care about being stock, I just put a larger one thats metal on mine. Went to autozone and bought one with 5/16 on either end. Think it was about 6 bucks.
SLITS
I bought 4 of the "square" ones at $1.50 each (Fram - listed for a Type 4). Only problem is they are 7mm inlet and outlet instead of 8 mm inlet and 7 mm outlet.

Any freakin filter will work if you're not hung up on "square".
biosurfer1
I got a circular fuel filter and was able to mount it in the stock location...just takes some careful reforming of the square mounts.
McMark
I was always under the impression that filters designed for FI cars had a smaller 'micron' rating than those for carb cars, and therefore 'any filter' will not work.
underthetire
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 23 2009, 01:00 PM) *

I was always under the impression that filters designed for FI cars had a smaller 'micron' rating than those for carb cars, and therefore 'any filter' will not work.

Not really true. Depends on high or low pressure side. The finer fuel injected high pressure filters will not allow enough fuel to the pump the way they are set up in our cars. Not enough feed pressure to make it through the filters.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.