Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noisy fuel pump (carbs)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Zundfolge
So I have a 2.0 with a pair of 40mm Webers, the PO installed a Mr Gasket 42S fuel pump back when he put carbs on the car many moons ago and a few days ago it died.

It always made a little bit of noise, sounded like a real loud fish tank pump (sort of rattely). Well I replaced the pump with a new Mr. Gasket 42S fuel pump and this one is even noisier. More of a high pitched whine mixed with a rattle.

IPB Image
(this is what the original one looked like, the new one has a plastic body)

IPB Image
(this is what the new one looks like)

The pump is bolted to the firewall, down low about 5" to the right of where the fuel line comes out. Under it is a piece of rubber.

Anyone have any idea how I can quiet this thing down ... I have a Kerry Hunter header with Supertrapp and I can STILL hear it.
hydroliftin
I have a Kerry Hunter header with Supertrapp and a CB fuel pump and I can't hear the pump. I think the way your pump was designed makes it loud.
GeorgeRud
As a rule, a lot of these fuel pumps are noisy, and the rubber isolating mounts can only do so much. You might check on the McMaster Carr website to see if they have some different rubber mounts that might be more compliant and stop some of the noise.

This is one of the reasons many of today's cars have the fuel pumps mounted in the gastanks themselves.

I use a Piermat (sp?) pump mounted by the front steering rack under the gastank, and it's not too noisy IMHO.
SirAndy
Get the CB rotary pump and no more noise. Best $50 bucks i spent when i still had the carbed 2056 ...

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=577

bye1.gif Andy

jmill
Use a rotory pump. You might hear a whine but not the rattle. Had one of them whiz bangs for about 2 days before the rattle drove me nuts. I swapped over to a Holley red and a pressure regulator. They make smaller rotory pumps that put out around 4 psi so you wouldn't need a regulator.

Andy beat me to it. bye1.gif
markb
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 23 2009, 12:26 PM) *

Get the CB rotary pump and no more noise. Best $50 bucks i spent when i still had the carbed 2056 ...

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=577

bye1.gif Andy

agree.gif
That looks very similar to the Pierburg setup I put on my car. Works like a champ.
Zundfolge
darn ... and only about $5 more than the pump I bought (I figured someone would post some whiz bang dead silent pump that costs somewhere around what the original Bosch FI pump cost tongue.gif ).

I think what I'll do is put a couple more diffuser disks in the SuperTrapp and it won't matter biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.