Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Piston Swap used VW bus to NEW stock 2.0, What Else?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
I have a 1974 2.0 with Reman Heads that are getting cc'd. Upon futher investigation it turns out I have VW Bus Pistons. I would like to put New Stock 914 Pistons in to replace these. I understand compresion math and deck hieght, shimming etc.. But would like to know what do I need to do Mechanically to do the swap without causing me more problems than I started with.. Car has run really well and is only getting reman heads because of a broken chunk with helicoil attached came off with exhaust hanging stud... Suposedley the car engine was rebuilt 8000 miles ago but i do not know the extent nor do I beleive anything I was told when I bought the car anymore though I do not think I was lied too just a differ of what is restored and what is rebuilt.. I would like to get away with the minumum right now and crack the case later when I am more edjucated and know better what I want out of my engine.. Stock is fine with me now and may stay that way but would hate to rebuild a car that runs well ..spend a lot more money getting it stock rebuilt only next year to decided i want more power or torque..

What is the respectable safe minumum to a Piston Swap like this..
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I would certainly, since you have it apart, spring for 2.0 914 p and c and if you could the euro style. That way you would instantly get more power in an fairly easy bolt on kit.
detoxcowboy
I got it now, form a previous question.. Thanks Cap'n

"If you replace your existing pistons, be aware that you need to have the rods reconditioned and the new wristpins fitted to the small ends."
type47
The good Dr gives sage advice but I would look into getting 96mm pistons for 2 reasons; I think they cost less than Euro piston sets and they are one of the first installations when 914 owners want more power. You are looking into installing a different set anyway, while you're in there ... (DW)
914pwer
I got a 2,0 with Type-1 94mm pistons from a friend of mine The rods have been ground down in the small end .I dont know if the wristpins are different typ-1 vs type-4
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(914pwer @ Apr 24 2009, 01:26 PM) *

I got a 2,0 with Type-1 94mm pistons from a friend of mine The rods have been ground down in the small end .I dont know if the wristpins are different typ-1 vs type-4

thank you. but i believe i am to take the rods w/ new bushings and have them pressed and fitted w/ oil channels to the new cylinders wristpins.. correct?

detoxcowboy
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 24 2009, 11:45 AM) *

The good Dr gives sage advice but I would look into getting 96mm pistons for 2 reasons; I think they cost less than Euro piston sets and they are one of the first installations when 914 owners want more power. You are looking into installing a different set anyway, while you're in there ... (DW)

I agree w/ the DR. and your logic has truth too, but so far everything I have done to the car has been towards stock w/ often new for reliabilty or slight improvement. I would hate to change that around now and would also not want to half step a power modification especially with more money involved and my limited experience at this time.. I do not think I am ready plus if I drive it stock for awhile (year or two) then maybe I could appreciate further changes even more so as I would know the differnece..
r_towle
Put the heads back on...save your money and buy a whole kit for a 2056.
The 96mm pistons will run using the stock FI and its a very proven setup.
Dont piece it together...especially if you are not experienced at pulling cylinders and swapping pistons without doing damage.

If you get new pistons, you need to recondition YOUR rods.
Then you should probably get new crank bearings for the rods.

All of that can be done without opening the case...but at this point you are 20 bolts away from opening up the case and doing it right.

So....put the heads back on, drive it till winter, then pull out the motor and do it right.

RIch
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 24 2009, 06:06 PM) *

Put the heads back on...save your money and buy a whole kit for a 2056.
The 96mm pistons will run using the stock FI and its a very proven setup.
Dont piece it together...especially if you are not experienced at pulling cylinders and swapping pistons without doing damage.

If you get new pistons, you need to recondition YOUR rods.
Then you should probably get new crank bearings for the rods.

All of that can be done without opening the case...but at this point you are 20 bolts away from opening up the case and doing it right.

So....put the heads back on, drive it till winter, then pull out the motor and do it right.

RIch

towle, you just stated what i thought through today.. does not make sense to go 40% or 60% especially the age of these cars and it does not make sense not to have everything balanced out and checked to work properly fitted with new parts,, i read ahead to someone else whom just did what i was pondering and he made it about 150 miles, now his case is open.. thanks ..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.