Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauging interest...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Mugs914
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if there would be any interest in a fiberglass repro of the rear spoiler from the Wayne Baker GTU car. (See pics)

The original is made out of sheet aluminum so I would clean up the metal joints and get rid of the rivets, but the overall shape would be the same. The tall Gurney on the rear would be a separate piece.

I'm going to do one for myself and another for a customer, but if anyone else is interested I'll see about making real tooling so we can pop 'em out.

I was also thinking about doing slightly downsized version without the Gurney or side fences for street use...

Any thoughts/input appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike
Mugs914
Another pic...
Randal

That is a great looking spoiler Mike.

What do you think the total assembly would go for, including everything shown in the picture, i.e., sides and back bits?

And what would it weigh? unsure.gif

Thanks.

J P Stein
Good lookin' spoiler......I'd like to know how high it is and...the end plates can only be 100 square inches total (both sides) for XP/EM.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 24 2009, 04:50 PM) *

Good lookin' spoiler......I'd like to know how high it is and...the end plates can only be 100 square inches total (both sides) for XP/EM.

Hey JP - end plates as on the sides and back or sides only can be 100 sq inches?

Just looking at the side plates I'd say about 7-8 inches high and 24 inches long.

That would be about 96 square inches (8" high) for both side plates, i.e., close to the limit assuming it doesn't include the back section.
Mugs914
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 25 2009, 10:49 AM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 24 2009, 04:50 PM) *

Hey JP - end plates as on the sides and back or sides only can be 100 sq inches?

Just looking at the side plates I'd say about 7-8 inches high and 24 inches long.

That would be about 96 square inches (8" high) for both side plates, i.e., close to the limit assuming it doesn't include the back section.

I don't think the 100 square-inch rule includes the back. I'm pretty sure they're just measuring side plates.

That being said, I guess it depends on HOW they measure the height of the end plates. If they are measured from the outside (from the top of the fender) , then yes, they are about 7"- 8" high. If they are measured from the inside (from the deck lid) they are only about 2"- 3" high because the spoiler is actually wedge-shaped. Here are a couple of pics that might give a better idea of the shape.

Of course since we are essentially starting from scratch, we can tailor the things to whatever rules you need to comply with.
J P Stein
100 inches total.....50 sq in per side is the way I read the rule. Re-reading it ....verboten in XP but legal in EM.

The shape of the spoiler doesn't matter (as long as it doesn't act like a wing), the height above the body work is the determining factor.

Wings are legal in XP.....go figure....and you can have end plates..200 sq in...total area.

Hay, I didn't write this shit.

It's still a good lookin' spoiler. biggrin.gif

Posted this in the garage......confusion comes easy to old farts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.