Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: vacum advance? do I need it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JOE M
O.K so I just got my new weber 34`s for my 1.7. I installed them and started the car. Prior to this I installed a new fuel filter and fuel line. The other line was cracking and sort of scary. So my question is related to vacum. It looks like the intakes were made for an advance. They have a port on them so do I just plug it. Also at the bottom of the carb itself there is also some sort of port.My last question is some parts that were missing when I got the car. On the oil fill cap port there is a small elbow coming off of it. It looks like a PCV valve would go there or something but I have nothing. And on the engine block there is another port. Look at the pics and hopefully some one can help. I think the car is close to running but I want to make sure what these are for. Thanks Joe.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JOE M
next 2 pics

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cupomeat
Joe,

I'd recommend the following;

1. Take a vacuum tube and connect the left and right bank manifods on that port.
2. Buy a breather box with at least 3 ports. Check for ports on the top of the heads above the valve cover and if there run hoses from those ports as well as the oil filler port to the input side (lower) of the breather box. Run the output to the carb airfilters.
3. If you have a vacuum advance dist, use one of the vacuum ports on the carb for it. If not, cap both carb vacuum ports
4. Drive the car and resync the carbs a few times.

Hope that helps.
JOE M
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Apr 24 2009, 11:17 AM) *

Joe,

I'd recommend the following;

1. Take a vacuum tube and connect the left and right bank manifods on that port.
2. Buy a breather box with at least 3 ports. Check for ports on the top of the heads above the valve cover and if there run hoses from those ports as well as the oil filler port to the input side (lower) of the breather box. Run the output to the carb airfilters.
3. If you have a vacuum advance dist, use one of the vacuum ports on the carb for it. If not, cap both carb vacuum ports
4. Drive the car and resync the carbs a few times.

Hope that helps.

No vacum advance on my distributor. What is the port on the engine block for? Its the last picture. I will get a breather box and install it.Thanks for your help.
Cupomeat
Ok, so here are the answers;
1. The port on the "case" is really on the fan duct and it was used for emissions, to blow air through the tank vapor recovery system (Evaporative controls). Cap it and forget about it (or tap it into the air cleaner for a supercharger effect, laugh.gif )
2. No advance so plug the carb vacuum ports.

Good luck! I had the set of 34 Dellortos on my first 914 and they always ran rich so I hope the webers work better.
JOE M
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Apr 24 2009, 11:47 AM) *

Ok, so here are the answers;
1. The port on the "case" is really on the fan duct and it was used for emissions, to blow air through the tank vapor recovery system (Evaporative controls). Cap it and forget about it (or tap it into the air cleaner for a supercharger effect, laugh.gif )
2. No advance so plug the carb vacuum ports.

Good luck! I had the set of 34 Dellortos on my first 914 and they always ran rich so I hope the webers work better.

I have never tuned carbs so I should be in for a treat.I need to do some reading so I better get started.
JOE M
Wow almost a disater. I was tuning my carbs and all of a sudden I smell gas.I looked all over the engine bay where I put the new fuel line and nothing was leaking. Out of the corner of my eye I see gas pouring out of the fuel pump and onto the ground.The engine was hot but I lucked out.Nothing blew up but I think thats Gods way of saying enough for today. Well I guess I will be replacing the line under the car too. That stuff is so old and frail.It looks like its leaking at the pump.By the way I suck at tuning carbs. This thing keeps farting and backfiring.
r_towle
I am heading to hershey...sorry.
Did you buy a syncrometer? you wont get them right without it.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.