Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Almost a big problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JOE M
I was tuning my new carbs and out of no where I smell gas. Real strong!!! I just installed new fuel line inside the engine bay because the other stuff was old and becoming real brittle. I figured im in there so why not install new. So as soon as started to smell the gas I looked around the engine and there was no leak that I could detect. I looked down and the ground was starting to quickly flood with gas. Scarry as hell because the car was running for a while and the heat exchangers were real hot. After covering the ground with sand I let the car cool for a few but gas was still pouring out. I clamped off the line going to the pump and the leak stopped. I waited about 20 minutes and looked under the car. The fuel line going to the pump had ruptured. Man this was too close of a disater.I guess what I am saying is that anybody with this old type of fuel line get rid of it as quick as possible. Had it actually ruptured a little bit higher the heat exchangers may have ignited it. I am going to drain the tank and get all that old crap out as soon as possible.
Oh by the way any god advice on tuning weber 34`s.I totally suck at this.
Thanks Joe
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(JOE M @ Apr 24 2009, 03:04 PM) *

I was tuning my new carbs and out of no where I smell gas. Real strong!!! I just installed new fuel line inside the engine bay because the other stuff was old and becoming real brittle. I figured im in there so why not install new. So as soon as started to smell the gas I looked around the engine and there was no leak that I could detect. I looked down and the ground was starting to quickly flood with gas. Scarry as hell because the car was running for a while and the heat exchangers were real hot. After covering the ground with sand I let the car cool for a few but gas was still pouring out. I clamped off the line going to the pump and the leak stopped. I waited about 20 minutes and looked under the car. The fuel line going to the pump had ruptured. Man this was too close of a disater.I guess what I am saying is that anybody with this old type of fuel line get rid of it as quick as possible. Had it actually ruptured a little bit higher the heat exchangers may have ignited it. I am going to drain the tank and get all that old crap out as soon as possible.
Thanks Joe

Not to belittle your warning, but the HEs don't get hot enough to ignite gasoline. However, there's LOTS of other ignition sources to worry about. I trust you used appropriate 7 or 7.5 mm hose, NOT 5/16ths. Glad to hear you're safe! The Cap'n
JOE M
I did use metric fuel line-My tins are off my H.E`S so thats why I got sort of freaked out. Not sure how hot they get but its still scary. Plus the wiring on my pump is crap too. Man this car is killing me so many small things to fix. Any advise on setting up the carbs. Rich if your out there HELP!!!!!LOL.
r_towle
QUOTE(JOE M @ Apr 24 2009, 07:11 PM) *

I did use metric fuel line-My tins are off my H.E`S so thats why I got sort of freaked out. Not sure how hot they get but its still scary. Plus the wiring on my pump is crap too. Man this car is killing me so many small things to fix. Any advise on setting up the carbs. Rich if your out there HELP!!!!!LOL.

I am heading out to Hershey for the weekend...leaving tonight.
Is the car registered? If I come fix it right now, are you driving it to Hershey??

Rich
jcambo7
QUOTE(JOE M @ Apr 24 2009, 05:04 PM) *

Thanks Joe

Have u replaced your tunnel lines yet? If you haven't I would. I went with Tangerine racing's stainless steel lines. I replaced the tunnel lines and the engine compartment lines. It was well worth the money. Now I don't ever have to worry about a fire starting in my tunnel now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.