Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noisy fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
Boy we had a beautiful day, all the snow is finally gone and I cleaned up the teener, wish I could post pic's cause it actually looks pretty good! Went for a nice drive on country roads, twisty's, you know what I mean and the car ran great. I found running 30 lbs all the way around works best with the Dunlops that are on it. My Fuchs are quite dull and I am going to get them polished hopefully in the next few weeks. I do have a relatively loud whing sound when you turn the key on and haven't started the engine yet, fuel pump is my guess but I haven't been around any other 914's so I don't know if this is normal or not. Any help here much appreciated.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Katmanken
it's one of 2 things.

The fuel filter is plugged and the pump has to really work to draw gas...

Or, the pump is failing.

Usually they happen together.

One more thing, the fuel sock in the tank could be clogged.

In any event, replace the filter, cut the old one open, and look at the filter paper to see if it's clogged with rust or gunk.

I run an unpressurized filter in front, and a pressurized filter after. That way no crap gets to the pump or the injectors.

Ken
Ian Stott
Fuel sock is nice and clean, did that when I got the car last year and fuel filter is new. I guess I will have to listen to someone else's car to see if the noise I'm hearing is normal or not. Anyone in the mood to drive to Moncton, we have great lobster and our beer is cold, first one is on me!!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Katmanken
A load of dirty gas???

I got a load of gas that put about a half inch of crud in the bottom of my gas tank. Thre days later, the pump got really noisy. Swapped out the filter and it quieted down for a short while.

Trashed the second filter in a short time.

Then the pump blew.

While swapping the pump and filter, I noticed the crud in the gas.

I had to drain the gas, pull the gas tank, and spent 45 minutes at the high pressure car wash watching an amazing amount of crud come out of the tank.

I have a VW Vanagon which runs a later version of the L-jet fuel injection, and due to a rusty gas tank defect (their version of a hell hole), owners know that a noisy pump mean she's about to blow.

Check Bus Depot to price new pump- just in case.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.