Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: drilling 4-lug rotors to 5-lug?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
'73-914kid
Well, I just got my shipment of parts in from Pelican, which included brand new 4-lug Zimmerman bremsheiben (brake rotors) I bought these because the old rotors were redrilled 4-lugs, and I didn't want to fork up the money for 914-6 parts.

Does anyone know of a shop that will redrill these somewhere close to Vista, CA? My regular machine shop doesn't have have the setups to do it and the closest one that I don't like, can't do it either.

Where can I get these re-drilled?
(The closer the better...)

Thanks, Ethan
davep
They can't be much of a machine shop if they can't drill 5 holes on a 130mm circle when one is already done for them.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Apr 25 2009, 05:42 PM) *

UPS goes every where, every day.

Search for Eric Shea, PMB Performance.
He handles disk drilling all the time, although I don't know if he'll do a late-model without the 5 bosses cast into the rotor from the factory (like the early stuff did.) Contact him and ask. Probably won't cost any more done complete and delivered than if you'd just bought the 901 parts originally.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Apr 26 2009, 04:58 AM) *

QUOTE('73-914kid @ Apr 25 2009, 05:42 PM) *

UPS goes every where, every day.

Search for Eric Shea, PMB Performance.
He handles disk drilling all the time, although I don't know if he'll do a late-model without the 5 bosses cast into the rotor from the factory (like the early stuff did.) Contact him and ask. Probably won't cost any more done complete and delivered than if you'd just bought the 901 parts originally.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Ruch? The "5 bosses" are cast into the rear hubs, NOT the rotors. The Cap'n
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 26 2009, 10:32 AM) *

...The "5 bosses" are cast into the rear hubs, NOT the rotors. The Cap'n

Gack. Been too long since I touched a 4-lug car...
Thanks for the correction.

So there ya go - an even easier problem.
'73-914kid
Hmm..
since I still can't find anyone to do it, I'll do it my self. Can't be too hard since I have the hubs.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Apr 26 2009, 08:15 AM) *

Hmm..
since I still can't find anyone to do it, I'll do it my self. Can't be too hard since I have the hubs.

BAD DECISION! Unless you have a vertical mill with an indexing head, the odds of you getting it right are so low as to be incalculable.

A city the size of San Diego must have a properly equipped machine shop ........... There are at least a dozen here in Santa Maria, and we have less than 100K people. Plan on spending upwards of a hundred bucks. BTW, you might wanna call Rimco in Santa Ana. Not my first choice, but they should be able to do it, and may even be set up for it. The Cap'n
jaxdream
I had a set done at one of my locals , one would'nt touch em . The one I did get did a first rate job , all cnc eqip, ISO std shop. Upon picking them up and paying for them , I try to always pay cash , they wouldn't do a reciept as they didn't want them on thier books or be connected paperwork wise for the LIABILITY factor that I was modifing a car that would be driven on the streets and possible saftey and lawsuit factors . It didn't bother me that it was the way they wanted to do buisness, they just seemed afraid to be connected , although they did a great job of converting , I will probably not ask them again as automotive was not thier forte.
Good luck .

Jaxdream
monkeyboy

Hmm..

Where are you at? I know a couple of places that do machine work in So Cal.
SLITS
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Apr 29 2009, 11:07 AM) *

Hmm..

Where are you at? I know a couple of places that do machine work in So Cal.

He's in Vista .... near Oceanside / Escondido area.

Also, if you check in the Hot VW magazines, there are places that will sell you Type 4 rotors drilled and tapped to your specifications.
davep
Had you contacted Eric, you might have them back now.
Saving money on 914/6 parts by modifying 914/4 parts might not save anything at all; sure $109 vs $43.50 each sounds like a lot, but consider the cost of machining, transportation and time, you might be losing.

http://www.pmbperformance.com/page/page/4741552.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.