Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cooling lines...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RJMII
What are you V8/Suby/Watercooled conversion type guys running for cooling lines?

I'm planning on going up the center of the car, underneath, in those two 'grooves'/indentations.

The Gates hose guy has lots of options.

Got pictures? P/N's? I.D.'s?
marks914
I am running 1" hardlines under the car in the grooves. The theory of a smaller diameter line is you can move the coolant a greater diatance easier. No problems for 8 years. They are copper and some are aluminum. I get beat up all the time when people realize they are copper, but radiators and coooling components were made from soldered copper for years. If the system exceeds 450 deg and 100 lbs of pressure, there are bigger problems than the solder melting and the seams bursting.
I will dig up some pics
Mark
RJMII
Thank you, Mark! I've been digging in the forum looking for pictures of your setup. =o)

It's one of the ones on my list of cars I look at for inspiration and ideas on 'how to do it right the first time'.
Phoenix-MN
Here's how I did mine. I Bought the stainless tubing from McMaster-Carr.

http://phoenixhobbies.com/html/cooling.html

Paul
computers4kids
Mine...typical Renegade setup
RJMII
What's that Renegade setup? what type of tubing is that? What's the Inner Diameter on it?
my928s4
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 26 2009, 08:48 AM)

Can you show the area where the coolant pipes exit the trunk under the car?

Thanks
computers4kids
QUOTE(RJMII @ Apr 26 2009, 08:55 AM) *

What's that Renegade setup? what type of tubing is that? What's the Inner Diameter on it?

1" and 1 1/4" gates hoses that Renegade out of Nevada likes to use. You can buy it at your local truck stop with the rubberized clamps.

QUOTE(my928s4 @ Apr 26 2009, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Apr 26 2009, 08:48 AM)

Can you show the area where the coolant pipes exit the trunk under the car?

Thanks

IPB Image
IPB Image
charliew
Before you use copper or stainless you might want to google electrolysis. The problem gets more serious with all aluminum motors. Fieros use ss underbody coolant tubes but the motor is cast iron. I was going to use ss but am now thinking it will be aluminum since I am installing a suby. The rubber is simple and it seems to work fine but I want a more factory look to the bottom.
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 26 2009, 07:00 PM) *

Before you use copper or stainless you might want to google electrolysis. The problem gets more serious with all aluminum motors. Fieros use ss underbody coolant tubes but the motor is cast iron. I was going to use ss but am now thinking it will be aluminum since I am installing a suby. The rubber is simple and it seems to work fine but I want a more factory look to the bottom.

Here's a good short article on electrolysis

http://www.awrracing.com/media/electrolysis.pdf

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.