Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 w ljet takes a lot of cranking to start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
with my 2.0 d-jet i would turn the key on and off a few times befor i would crank it, and it started right up... cold or hot. It also had the fuel pump hooked directly to the postive on the coil.

Now with the 1.8, when i turn the key on and off a few times i hear nothing. Then when i turn to crank it, i hear the fuel pump running, but it cvranks and cranks and then starts.

This morning i thought i was killing my starter and battery. I dont want to fry the ignition switch.

what do you think might be the problem, i am almost willing to hook up my fuel pump incorrectly to see if it starts right up like it used to.

The starter is less than a year old, and the condition of the ljet, needs refreshing. car runs with a little hesitation, i think from the throttle switch is worn. (bucking) and i have no power in 5th gear at all. i hear a very low hollw sound when i push the gas down at this speed. When i ease up on the pedal sometimes i can pick up a little speed. (is that lack of fuel?) plenty of power in 4th gear.

cheers
jsayre914
i forgot

I also need a picture ofthe airbox installed. I got the really weird bracket in the mail, but i cant (for the life of me) find a picture of how to install it.

mine is held by a bunjee
orange914
you could have a leaking check valve on your fuel pump. the fuel system should hold pressure and not need primed after sitting and should not have to build pressure back up. if your 2.0 starts after priming by key on and your 1.8 wont prime with key on thats what i'd suspect. (you narrowed it to fuel issue, right?) another question is... are these two different cars or i'm thinking you switched a 2.0 car over to 1.8 L-jet?

put a fuel pressure guage on and check it after sitting a length of time, see how it holds.

mike
jim912928
Not sure, but when I had to get a new fuel pump for my 1.8l I thought it was different then the djet fuel pump...but I could be mistaken. Also, ljets are very picky on air leaks. Big place to find one is in the elbow that goes between the AFM and the throttle body. Check the bend area and look between the ridges for large cracks.
jsayre914
AHHH HA

i did switch my 2.0 fi with a 1.8 fi.

i did not change the fuel pump. i did not know they were different.

Same car

i kept some parts from the 2.0 motor...

starter
fuel pump
alternator
etc.
Katmanken
Here's my take on Bosch pumps. The inline pumps provide both high pressure and high volume so that pressure can be maintained at the injectors with excess fuel being bled off to the return line. For each type of fuel injectiion system, it's the pressure relief valve that controlls the fuel pressure and the pump merely has to provide enough volume to meet that pressure during use.

This pressure control system has advantages. The pumps are overdesigned and as the pump wears and output declines, it still works as long as the pressure releif valve can maintian pressure. So, since the engine sizes ( and fuel needs and fuel pressures) are about the same, a Djet or L-jet pump shouldn't make a difference unless it's failing

That being said, do you have the L-jet or D-jet ( with knob) pressure relief valve???

Measure the FI operating pressure yet??

Ken
type47
L-jet fuel pump will turn on when the vane in the air flow meter is opened by cranking the engine unlike the D-jet which will turn on for 3 sec when the key is turned on but before the engine is cranked. I suspect first that hard starting is due to the cold start valve if your long cranking is on a cold engine. Not sure if there is a difference between L- and D-jet fuel pumps. The only difference I know of is between 70-74 pumps and 75-76 pumps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.