Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting observation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
On my way to the G&R Swap Meet I had the roof on the car. Head temps were between 300-325F and oil temp was straight up and down on the stock '74 2.0 oil temp gauge.

On the way back with the top off the oil temps crept up to the "P" while head temps stayed the same.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the top being off? Changing the flow of air over the cover or even aerodynamic drag as I always drive it at 80MPH indicated (who the hell knows what that really is with the Falken Azenis on there...).
Jake Raby
Were the ambient temps the same on both trips? Ambient temps are HUGE contributors to oil temperature as they effect the efficiency of the oil cooler..

CHT will stay very close to the same temp no matter what the ambient. Mine run the same in January as they do in July.
yeahmag
It was a bit warmer. Maybe to the tune of 10F. I was thinking along the lines of the CHT where I never see a change via ambient temps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.