Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: nice 914 convertible
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scrz914
I saw this 914 convertible going the otherway, so I did a u-turn and tracked it down. Owner was already gone into one of the stores so I wasn't able to get any details. But I got a couple of pics with my cell phone.
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Apr 27 2009, 10:52 AM) *

I saw this 914 convertible going the otherway, so I did a u-turn and tracked it down. Owner was already gone into one of the stores so I wasn't able to get any details. But I got a couple of pics with my cell phone.

Looks like a Beach Boys Racing conversion. They have been doing these for a long time.

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
914werke
Nope that one was featured in "VW/Porsche" or "European Car" artical back in the day. Check out the air inlet scoops idea.gif
charliew
I am under the impression the top and frame must be off of another porsche. I sent Bob, the owner of Beach Boys Racing a email about what parts are available.I bought a kinda instruction dvd about the conversion but it is pretty mixed up. I know he sells the fg parts on ebay but I don't see the top or frame anywhere so I only assume they are a porsche part. Boxter or something. Also some of the cars have the windshield laid back and a different side window and vent window approach.
scrz914
The top was nicely done but I got the impression it was a one off. The material was layered instead of one continuous piece. If the framework was off another Porsche it would still have to be modified. Nicely done though. I wonder what is done for chassis strengthening to replace the lack of rollbar.
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 27 2009, 01:23 PM) *

I am under the impression the top and frame must be off of another porsche. I sent Bob, the owner of Beach Boys Racing a email about what parts are available.I bought a kinda instruction dvd about the conversion but it is pretty mixed up. I know he sells the fg parts on ebay but I don't see the top or frame anywhere so I only assume they are a porsche part. Boxter or something. Also some of the cars have the windshield laid back and a different side window and vent window approach.

I bought a carbon fiber relay cover and got the free DVD with it. How I watched the whole thing is still a mystery to me but I got the impression that he fabricated his own top using parts from various cars but then started using 911 Speedster parts when they came out.
6freak
None in any of those pix have side marker lenses
Wilhelm
I have a Beach Boys convertible top and frame. The frame is aluminum and looks one off or made in a jig, not a modified Porsche part. I'll dig it out and post pics.
charliew
In the video they show a "new" aluminum top frame but no mention of availability now.

The monterray (the red one) has a neat fg cover that covers the top and will also raise with the engine cover to check the oil or whatever. It's some pretty good stuff.
lotus_65
Oddly, I saw one for sale on the Las Vegas cl. I wondered what kit it was. I guess it looks a lot like these...Click to view attachment

The slope of the top at the rear reminds me of the "new" T-bird barf.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Apr 27 2009, 10:52 AM) *

This one has the Wilco side vent behind the door handle. I gues that makes up for the engine cover vent ?
bigkensteele
I saw an ad or article somewhere years ago for an identical car, side vent and all. Correct, the side vent makes up for the lost airflow by blocking off the engine screen.

Way back when they still printed VW & Porsche, they did a feature on the Beach Boys Monterey that they build for the Parade. I recall reading that they used the factory windshield frame, but cut it at the base and slanted it back a few degrees to give it a more rakish appearance. That was one cool car back in the day.

Speaking of VW&P, I remember reading another article where somebody supercharged a 2.0. Does anyone else remember that, or how it was done. I thought that I saved all of my old mags that were even remotely interesting, but I can't find that one.

Ken
charliew
In the dvd I bought they just cut the frame and laid the stock windshield back then modify the vent windows and they don't go all the way to the top of the frame anymore. You can see it in the above pictures but it's not very easy to make out.
carr914
I remember way back when in VW & Porsche that I thought these were cool. But with a Targa top, you don't need to mess with a convertable and the loss of rigidity. I now look at these as a waste of time.

T.C.
boxstr
The white 914 conv at the top of the page has a Hartz material type top and it appears that the rear window area zips and lays down.
The windshield has not been laid back.
Looks kind of like a Miata top???
CCLINTOPLESS
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.