Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: windshield install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
I received the AA kit and instructions but the trim clips part seems a little confusing. Maybe it'll all make sense when I get into it.

Thanks
r_towle
be careful.

The little plastic clips sit on small standoffs that are part of the steel outer frame....they look like nail heads...and they may be buried in the old gooey stuff...they are on the vertical wall of the windshield surround.

Rich
smg914
My advice is to have the windshield installed by a professional. Have him install all new plastic clips too. After he's finished have him install the chrome trim. They will come to your house and they charge about $125.00. Worth every penny.
boxstr
What he said agree.gif
I just had one installed, Total $230.
CCL
racunniff
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Apr 27 2009, 06:45 PM) *

I received the AA kit and instructions but the trim clips part seems a little confusing. Maybe it'll all make sense when I get into it.

Thanks

If you are a masochist, see this thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=74816 Pay careful attention to the advise from the experts at the end of the thread.
mojorisen914
QUOTE(smg914 @ Apr 27 2009, 10:42 PM) *

My advice is to have the windshield installed by a professional. Have him install all new plastic clips too. After he's finished have him install the chrome trim. They will come to your house and they charge about $125.00. Worth every penny.

agree.gif

I had one that I previously purchased installed this past Christmas. I called a glass company and they came out my house and installed it. I used the rubber trim instead but they even installed that too. Guaranteed their work too. That was the best $150 I spent!
charliew
My 75 seems to have perfect trim. I really don't see any rust specks around it but really want to know as it is going to get a repaint at some point. I want the trim to stay straight if at all possible. After reading this and the other thread it seems the only way to get the trim off without screwing it up is to cut the clip rivet with a putty knife or something. I will talk to my local favorite family owned glass shop before I start. Also all the brothers have been to urethane schools to be the best they can be on urethanes and their associated primers. I try to do everything myself and breaking the windshield is something I have experienced and wasn't too happy about but saving the trim is higher on my list. Damaging the trim and living with some dingy looking trim is not something I want to live with.

There is a good chance that my windshield has too many very small specks too reuse.

Has anyone ever removed the trim and had it remain pristene?

Also I am familiar with the metal stud and the spacers as I think thats what my 69 camaro had but the 914 seems to use only plastic.

I will need to think about this as the car most possibly will end up on the rosesserie but I have not really decided yet about changing colors. It's malaga red and maroon even though my son is a aggie is not my facorite car color. If I have the windshield removed when does it come out to do the channel? Before I start dissassembly or after it's on the rotesserie?
Ian Stott
Good friends of mine have a glass shop here in Moncton and they did mine without the clips using I think it is called Butyl, my trim is in quite nicely and no leaks. This is what they do for a living and I agree 100 % to let the pro's do it, and it didn't cost that much.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
djm914-6
QUOTE(racunniff @ Apr 28 2009, 12:03 AM) *

If you are a masochist, see this thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=74816 Pay careful attention to the advise from the experts at the end of the thread.

Thanks for the link. And thanks to aircooledboy for his reply in that thread. This really helps.

I'm going to do this myself. That $125+ will pay for lots of other stuff I need to get the car rolling around again. I already have the install kit and a good used windshield. I bought the car so I can learn and this is just another of those times.

Thanks all,
gothspeed
QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Apr 28 2009, 02:18 AM) *

agree.gif

I had one that I previously purchased installed this past Christmas. I called a glass company and they came out my house and installed it. I used the rubber trim instead but they even installed that too. Guaranteed their work too. That was the best $150 I spent!

Where did you get the rubber trim smile.gif?
mojorisen914
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 28 2009, 01:36 PM) *

agree.gif

It's been so long since I bought the rubber trim that I forgot who I boughtit from but I think Mikey914 sells it. You can do a search on Pelican on how to mask the windshield when using the rubber trim. I wish I could find my pics I took when I did mine. Hope this helps.
boxstr
I used rubber trim on the 75 that Ihad the windshield installe din this past weekend.
The installer had the rubber trim so you should be able to get some from a glass install shop.
Try to get the rubber that has a groove that fits around the edge glass. Rather than the kind that you just push into the gap that is around the windshield once it is installed on the car. That type has a tendency to pull out at the corners.
Also do not forget to paint around the edge of the windshield on the inside . You do not want to see the rough inner part of the windshield frame and the rubber glue.
Good luck
CCLINGLASSMAN
736conver

Member Vendors Forum

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=63344
xperu
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 28 2009, 01:36 PM) *

agree.gif

I had a glass company come to my house and installed my windshield, if you tell them before they com out they will bring the rubber trim, he said it is one of the most common of the rubber trims. it looks real nice and everything fits perfect. Mike
charliew
I wonder whether gloss or flat black paint on the flange looks the best. I know the primer is flat but I want the entire flange to be black.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.