Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vellios Side shifter Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wilhelm
I'm in a bit of a puzzle about this. Pictured is my transmission (930) shifter from behind and the drivers side. It is in reverse in this picture which means the knob is all the way down and backwards. Does it make sense I would need to use a 70-72 in-car shift lever to make this work and not a 73-76? Thanks, I'm getting a bit of a headache sorting this out.

Click to view attachment

Looks cool..where can I get one cheap?
wbergtho
Velios makes a sideshifter for the 930? I only knew of the 915 sideshifter conversion. Sorry, I cannot answer your specific question. I had a 930 trans cable shifted on my V-8 car.
ChrisFoley
The early shift lever assembly reverses things side to side, but not front to back.
If the diagram you provided is correct you need either a 911 shift tower or an early 914 shift tower/lever. This will position reverse near your knee in the cockpit (left and forward). That way your shift pattern will resemble a 914 shift pattern that people use for a v8 with 914 transmission. (Ie., skip first and treat second as though it was first.)
thesey914
So does a 911 shift tower not reverse the rotation of the shift rod (forward of the firewall) like the 914??
Wilhelm
From my cogitating about the 914 shift towers:

70-72: Push lever forward, front rod goes backwards. Push it left, rod rotates right.

73-76: Push lever forward, front rod goes backwards. Push it left, rod rotates left.

I've never seen a 911 shift tower, so I don't know what it does.

I've figured out I'll need a hybrid setup. Will use a 70-72 shift tower and extend the front shift rod through the firewall. I'll attach a universal joint to this and transition to a 73-76 style rear shift rod. This I believe will make everything move in the correct direction at the transmission.
ChrisFoley
911 shift tower works the same as an early 914.
JWest Eng. sells the same part # Rennshift for both applications.
It gets turned around 180 deg. for 915 application so the reverse lockout is in the correct location.

As I described before, the shift pattern in the cockpit will be reversed (front to rear) from what you have drawn for the selector at the console. Therefore R, 1, 3 will be forward and 2,4 will be rearward.
So you are right, a hybrid setup using early parts in the cockpit with side shift parts through the firewall and under the engine will work perfectly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.