Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Value Thread, how much are they worth now?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JamesBernard
So, going through a few 914's i think i've learned the market a little bit, but with the way the economy has been lately i'm wondering if people are still having trouble selling 914's for what they're worth?
I sold one of my green ones about a year ago for around 11.5K and that seemed just about right considering it wasnt in PERFECT shape. but now i'm finishing my second project. its a 1976 2.0L in Viper Green Metallic, has a fresh paint job, brand new interior, really nice 914 wheels.
The problem is, that i have about 13K invested and i'm pretty sure the car should go for that, but is the market going to give me a really hard time? The car should be up on ebay in a few months.
Any input is much appreciated. I havent been on here in a while tongue.gif
Ian Stott
Knowing what I know now, 15K for a good solid 914 is very fair, add a Raby engine and ask for that value on top and an informed buyer will see the value. Problem is many buyers are ill informed about these cars but that is changing. In my opinion these are very soon to be in the collectors classification, which may be unfortunate as then people will buy them based on that rather than what a fun car it is to drive. I have always liked the 914 from the first time I saw one back in 73 and consider myself lucky to have one, a 73 2.0 to boot. If you are just flipping it to make a few bucks don't give it away, a true enthusiast is out there somewhere and will pay what it is worth.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Heeltoe914
More and more every day.
IMHO I think the 914 is still going up in value clean well modified cars are still being sold the key is what mods. I feel mods with Porsche drive train still demand the most dollars. The 914 seem to have fallen into the type of car that its OK to make changes to (Lets call them upgrades). It’s very expectable to the 914 world to have a 911 suspension added, or a 3.0 six conversion on a narrow body. I think the key to getting top dollar on your mods is to do it right the first time like steel flares over fiberglass. Or a 914 6 tank over a tank cut out in the rear trunk. Its OK but its not going to net you your biggest return at sale. My 0.2 cents.
charliew
I don't have a desire to own a pristene example of a stock 914 but I'm glad there are some who have this desire and means to support it. To me it would mean a rust free car that has not had a complete rebuild of a rusted out tub. You can not in my opinion rebuild a rusted tub that will not rust again. Anytime you weld metal it is going to rust at that spot if both sides are not treated with the best rust prevention practices. There are some places where vw brazed the panels together because a spot weld gun wouldn't get in that place. They spotwelded the tub together to prevent heat and so the metal could be coated on both sides before assembly. It is the normal uni-body techniques of the 70's. Today adheseves are the new thing to avoid heating metals up to prevent corrosion. 15k spent on a nice car to make it pristene is a impossibility.
15k will buy a nice daily driver that will have things show up in a year or two that will get worse as time goes on. Just my .02. I don't know what the price should be for a perfect one as it can't be duplicated.
JamesBernard
i'll post pics when it comes home.
roadster fan
For California buyers the 1976 will be the least valuable of the lot, IMHO due to smog regulations at this time.

If you don't need to sell quickly, the right buyer is probably out there, maybe in Europe. Hard to say really. My Dad always told me their only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Watch sales on here, Ebay, etc over the next couple of months to get a feel for what they are bringing. Best of luck,

Jim
charliew
If it's really nice it will probably be worth twice as much after the next 4 years election. Just put it in a safe place where else can you double your money? Although my ins. agent with germania is buying toys like no tomorrow right now. He had to build another 50x100 building to hold all of the new stuff.
mjz4
QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 29 2009, 08:42 AM) *

If it's really nice it will probably be worth twice as much after the next 4 years election. Just put it in a safe place where else can you double your money? Although my ins. agent with germania is buying toys like no tomorrow right now. He had to build another 50x100 building to hold all of the new stuff.

I have a 73 1.7 that is 100% originial with 27K miles on it. It truly is "prisitine". Exterior and interior are like new. I was going to trade it for C4S as I didn't want to put any more miles on it. Sounds like I should put it away and see if the value goes up.
brer
QUOTE(charliew @ Apr 29 2009, 08:42 AM) *

dont count on it.
Rav914
The Sports Car Market "Pocket Price Guide" has rated '70-'73 914-4's(1.7L) as a C-grade investment. Their values have increased 13% since 2008. The 2.0's showed no change in value. $6-9K and $7-10K respectively.

The 914-6 is a B-grade with a 42% increase this past year. $25-30K on average.

Compare that to the 65-69 912 as a D-grade investment with a -6% change. The 356's as a whole are up by an average.....13%. Not counting the speedster which has increased 37%.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.