Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: axles and such
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hargray2
When I search for info on different axle, stub axle, hub, cv combinations I can't find much help. Most everything is kinda iffy or vague and I find lots of contradiction from
one post to another about what will work togther. There are many confused people out there I'm sure.

If anyone is running a frankenstein setup or is a sure expert on the topic, please fill us in. Part numbers and pictures are nice too wink.gif
East coaster
I'm with you, I'm always left thinking I know less after reading the axle/hub/cv posts than before I read them! I can seem to find anything on my particular setup. I have a 915 tranny without ouput flanges and need everything from the tranny to the lug nuts (going 5 lug) and would love to see a layout of what I need. Model year range or part number of each part would give me wood! beer.gif

Something like this as an example:

78 - 86 915 output flanges, 69 - 73 cv and axles, 69 - 73 911 stubs and hubs.

Does anybody know if this combo would work or what would be better??
John2kx
I found the same subject confusing when upgrading my car to 5 lug, upgrading brakes and adding Fuch wheels.

Turning hubs down to prevent making contact with calipers, proper spacing of rear calipers, correct brake pad pin lengths, obtaining correct o-rings along with many other areas to "remember" are just a few things that come to mind when researching this project. I had enough going on with the V8 conversion and wanted to get this thing on the road.

I elected to pay Rich Johnson to gather all parts, rebuild as necessary and finish to like new condition. The experience was very pleasant and Rich delivered exactly what I wanted. He is very expereinced in this area and his advice on parts selection also helped me determine what to use. The best thing about this was all parts fit and looked like new when assembled.

I purchased my upgraded axles and cv's from Renegade and all other parts came from Rich.

John
John2kx
afsf
John2kx
dfadfg
John2kx
qwer
John2kx
zxcvb
John2kx
bnm,
John2kx
ghjk
John2kx
zxcbv
John2kx
dfhj
echocanyons
John,

What size rim/tire combo are you running?
hargray2
Are those widened stock rear calipers? What kind of axle, cv, spacer setup?
John2kx
6 x 16 front
7 x 16 rear

Tires are 205/55/16s at all 4 corners.

John
John2kx
hargray2,

My axles/cvs/adaptors are from RH. They fit a stock 901 but I believe Scott can provide adaptors for your 915 if there is a difference. Best advice would be to call them and discuss your setup.

Just checked RH site and it appears they do sell adaptors for the 901, 915 and 930. http://www.renegadehybrids.com/914.htm

Yes, the rear calipers are widened. Rich did this to fit the vented rotors. I wanted to retain rear parking brake and reason for sticking with stock 914 rear calipers. The history on the rear calipers is that they came off Richard Fisher's car when he upgraded last year. Richard has the beautiful burgandy V8 you may have seen on the internet. Rich Johnson knew Fisher was upgrading and obtained these for my project.

One thing I failed to mention is all this stuff fit without having to chase misc. parts or search junkyards. Bolted everything on, powerbleed the brakes once and never looked back. Yes, it cost more to have a pro do the leg work and labor for me but it was worth it in my opinion.

John
Brad Roberts
They (RH) use VW bus axles with the adapters.

I use all stock Porsche parts with a 930 sized CV for 901/915 and 930 conversions.. It is actually very easy..

The reason you dont find EXACT part numbers is: we usally dont know what tranny you have when you are asking. When using a 915.. I need to know EXACTLY what year 915 you have to determine which output flanges you currently have (or a picture). If you have a 901.. then I send you early parts for large axles.

My questions is: what makes you think that you need larger CV's/axles ?? Have you broken a stock 914 CV ?

B
East coaster
Brad, I guess you've seen my tranny by now. I didn't get any flanges with it, so I need everything from the tranny splines to the lug nuts. If you have some thoughts on what I should use and better yet maybe even be able to supply them, I'm all ears??

I currently have 914-6 stub axles (new) and a really nice set of stocker 914 axles/CVs, which I bought when originally planning on doing a beefed 901. Are all these parts now useless for my setup?
hargray2
No, I haven't broken anything yet, I'm just curious as to what everyone uses on their cars (901 or 915) when HP is dramatically increased, ie. over 300HP. Do the stock axles normally give before the CV's do?
echocanyons
Hey John,

Hows about somemore eyecandy shots of your car?

A side view perhaps?
John2kx
At your request............it can be found in the members car pics but I'll make it easy for you. These are about all the side shots I have.

John
John2kx
adf
John2kx
asdfg
John2kx
dfgjh
John2kx
Last pic was right after putting car on road in stock configuration (appearance wise) with about 3 weeks worth of polishing stock wheels. A bad experience at high speed with skinny tires made me go for the wider Fuchs.
John2kx
ghnj
John2kx
gsfghb
John2kx
I'm out of candy..........enjoy.

John
Andyrew
What did you have on there? 165's?

I think you would need more than 205's on the backs.. But It does look good. Do much racing? or is it a street/show car?

I have always loved your car John.

Andrew
thesey914
*phew*

wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
echocanyons
Thanks John, I looked in the members thread but its so long I didnt borwse through all of the pages, I guess I missed it.
Thanks for the shots! Your car is a beauty!
Freedom
how much power is that beuty puttin' down?

now that im not drooling anymore
John2kx
Yes, I was running 165s out of the barn with the v8 conversion. A 100+ mph pass around a 18 wheeler almost did me in last year and the reason for a rubber upgrade.

This is a street car. Not much racing activity in my area but I would like to try it. I do take every opportunity to street race but the teens nowadays are more into electronics than power upgrades.

The 350 is built to 400hp. Might step it up in the future but not without a transaxle upgrade. I feel I'm on borrowed time with the stock 901 but it has held its own to date.

John
jim912928
John, where did you get the spacers for the rear brake? Were they custom made or off another porsche model? Is it as easy as just separating them, adding it..tightening it all back up or is there a trick to this?

Thanks,

Jim
Brad Roberts
East Coaster...

915 is apart.

Pinion bearing race in case is junk.. it will need to be done.. watch this thread for a short video.

Some good news... you can use stock 914 axles in your 915. They used a 901 diff in the 915 with course spline. Your options are limitless for axles and such.

Limited slip appears to be a stock 40% (wont know for sure until we pull the stack out and see if it is configured for stock 40%) We test this with a fixture using a torque wrench.

Most of the internals looks real good. I'lls send you a list of what it needs. First things first is to get the case machined for the largers bearings/races on the pinion and inout shaft.

B
John2kx
Jim,

Rich Johnson performed all the brake work (they were ready to bolt on when received). I would think you need spacers, longer caliper bolts and possible new "clip" that holds disc pad.

John
East coaster
Brad, Damn.....I was hoping everything was OK with this unit, but I'm not surprised. At least the internals are OK. It was supposedly "just rebuilt" by some west coast V8 conversion company. I figured when I bought it that if the LSD and internals were good it was worth what I paid. Plus it's got the oil cooler and pump.

So I can take a set of 901 flanges and bolt'em up and run my stock teener axles with the 914-6 stubs I already have.....Cool!

Looking forward to the progress pics! Oh yeah, do you have a clutch fork laying around, it didn't have one?

Thanks!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.