Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3 little white wires...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
por73914
3 liittle white wires...that go to the dizzy. The PO cut off the plug so I have three wires all the same color and no idea which order they go. any help on figuring this one out? #his is on a 75 2.0
SirAndy
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
bryanf
oh, fun! Those are the FI trigger point wires. I had a similar problem and ended up testing continuity all the way back to FI control unit. I think the Haynes manual has the pin-outs. As I recall the pinouts for the distributor are printed really tiny on the plug...

Also, the care runs surprisingly well if you flip-flop the left and right trigger point...

wish I could be morehelp...
SLITS
They are the wires for the trigger points that trigger the injectors.

If the wires still have the numbers on them .....

21 goes to one of the outside terminals
22 goes to the other outside terminal
12 is the middle connector (common)

You can also trace these numbers back from the brain connector as they are the same number on the brain connector.

You will need the plug to connect it to the dizzy though.

As said in the post above, if you can trace 12 ... the other two don't really matter what outside terminal they connect to.
type47
This makes me think of that group of 3 wires that terminate and are not connected to anything. They may be the wires that can be connected to a barometric device to adjust for altitude. The wires I'm thinking of are the ones that just lay beneath the dizzy and fool the tech/emissions inspectors but are that way from the factory.
por73914
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 29 2009, 08:21 AM) *

This makes me think of that group of 3 wires that terminate and are not connected to anything. They may be the wires that can be connected to a barometric device to adjust for altitude. The wires I'm thinking of are the ones that just lay beneath the dizzy and fool the tech/emissions inspectors but are that way from the factory.

These are definitely the dizzy wires or I am missing those all together confused24.gif I am going to try and trace them back to the ecu and see if can get it to run. Thanks for all the help. beerchug.gif
type47
QUOTE(por73914 @ Apr 29 2009, 06:31 AM) *

These are definitely the dizzy wires or I am missing those all together confused24.gif I am going to try and trace them back to the ecu and see if can get it to run. Thanks for all the help. beerchug.gif

then are you missing the plastic plug at the ends of the wires to plug into the dizzy?
por73914
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 29 2009, 11:47 AM) *

then are you missing the plastic plug at the ends of the wires to plug into the dizzy?

yes the white plug is missing. I used small spades to connect the wires. I traced #12 and it is in the middle now. My firing order is correct, my 1 plug wire is in the correct position and ihave good spark. However using starting fluid it will not fire...any ideas?
SLITS
Does it even go "burp" with a shot of fluid? I spray into the throttle body and let it sit for a second to turn to vapor and then hit the key. Oh, before we all get jumped, you will be advised that using starting fluid is a no no.

Anyway, I just did this to an engine ... I could get it to bang once or twice but wasn't getting fuel to the engine (NOID tester told me the trigger points were working). After putzing a lot, I finally got it to fire and run on starting fluid by hitting it with short bursts while running, but still no fuel.

Problem turned out to be that the CHT was disconnected ... car won't run without it being good or connected.

Probably didn't help a bit, but I tried.

If you PM me your address, I will see if I have a FI harness with the appropriate connector and send it to you (meaning I will cut the connector off).
SirAndy
QUOTE(por73914 @ Apr 29 2009, 09:57 AM) *

However using starting fluid it will not fire...any ideas?

Yes. Don't use starter fluid ...
poke.gif Andy
type47
Sorry, I should have read your post more carefully as the answers all the questions I asked were stated in the original post. Now with that said, you can trace the wires back to the ECU by checking the continuity to the pins on the plug. There are illustrations that identify the plug connection with the component wire. If you need that info, I have it in a book at home.

QUOTE(por73914 @ Apr 29 2009, 09:57 AM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 29 2009, 11:47 AM) *

yes the white plug is missing. I used small spades to connect the wires. I traced #12 and it is in the middle now. My firing order is correct, my 1 plug wire is in the correct position and ihave good spark. However using starting fluid it will not fire...any ideas?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.