Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paul's car before Jenny Craig diet...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
Paul just posted this in the classifieds. I thought it was cool to imagine the journey it took from this to what it is now... Probably the lightest 914 on the planet...
brant
I think Frank Beck's car may be close to Paul for the record of lightest
rumor is that with a -6 motor he runs 400lbs of ballast to make weight

(not to mention that I was also told Frank dyno'd at 296 rear wheel hp with a 2.5/6)

but that picture is very very cool!
VaccaRabite
Why was that picture in the classifieds? Ury selling his car?!

Zach
ws91420
No showing western/Gurney wheels on a car
MDG
It always amazes me when I see 'back in the day' photos like this, that the 914 was slammed for it's looks . . . .

Man, 35 years later, that beauty stands out like a supermodel compared to the bar of soap styling most of the other cars behind it share.
maf914
Are you actually suggesting that a 914 is better looking than a Ford Maverick? lol-2.gif av-943.gif

Of course it is! laugh.gif
URY914
That shot was taken out of my dorm window at college in 1982. I was the only 914 on the campus of Mississippi State University. I used to drive around campus and get the strangest looks. It would really freak them out then I would open both trunks....
MDG
Your car looks great - then and now. The photo Rob posted is hysterical the more I look at it; your 914 looks like it just landed from another planet.

Man, I forgot what those early Civics looked like . . . . barf.gif

URY914
Daytona...
URY914
I just noticed that Trans Ams are following me.
MDG
ah, Pontiac.

Sa la vie
SirAndy
QUOTE(brant @ Apr 29 2009, 09:34 AM) *

Of course, your post above can only make any kind of sense if we actually knew what his target weight is ... poke.gif

beerchug.gif Andy
brant
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 29 2009, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Apr 29 2009, 09:34 AM) *

Of course, your post above can only make any kind of sense if we actually knew what his target weight is ... poke.gif

beerchug.gif Andy

I'll have to do some research on that one
I don't know the rule book for his class.
I'll dig and see if it's HSR
still any race car that has to balast 400lbs is something indead.

the old SCCA general competition rules used to put racing 914/6's at #1910, if I remember correctly. Most vintage classes are based on the SCCA rules from 1972. if the 1910lbs number is correct, the you'd be looking at a 1510lb 914/6 with 296 rear wheel hp. Not shabby when you consider its got significantly more cage, road legal wall thickness, and a top.

I'll have to research those numbers since some clubs deviate from the SCCA numbers. My own club allows %5 less than the scca rule, which works out to 1815lbs. Imagine 400lbs off of #1815 with 300hp from a 2.5 liter.... I'll have to look into it

I read a race report recently in vintage lane that talked about Frank Beck trading 1st place over and over with a race GT3 RSR. imagine a 914 trading first place over a full wheel to wheel sprint race with an RSR. A big chunk of that feat must be the driver. Although 300hp in something approaching 5 to 1, all through a 4.5 inch clutch wouldn't hurt!

brant
effutuo101
Personally, I was eyeballing the lead sled in the back ground. Blue and chrome. Good combo smile.gif Nice pictures!
SirAndy
QUOTE(brant @ Apr 29 2009, 09:32 PM) *

Still any race car that has to ballast 400lbs is something indeed.

agree.gif

The 911 currently has a minimum weight of 2500 pounds with the driver right after the race.
The dry weight is around 2150.

We're running 150lbs of lead weights on the floor to get there.
bye1.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.