Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Street Car Fiberglass
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
I'm thinking of using a fiberglass deckld on my car (because I want to add a ducktail). Is there a difference in suppliers in terms of weight? That is, this is going on a street car, not a track car. So, is there a prefered supplier that makes a little more stout decklid then the others?

Kev
plymouth37
Getty Design.
jmill
Just bought the front and rear lids from them. They are very light and straight. Not that wavy BS. You can't use the stock springs to keep the lid up. You'll break it trying to close it. Tell them you want it beefier for the street.
kconway
QUOTE(jmill @ Apr 30 2009, 04:34 AM) *

Just bought the front and rear lids from them. They are very light and straight. Not that wavy BS. You can't use the stock springs to keep the lid up. You'll break it trying to close it. Tell them you want it beefier for the street.

You just bought them from Getty and they need to be beefed up?
jt914-6
Here's my fiberglass deck lid. It has the spoiler built in. It's from American International Racing. Nice smooth finish and has the factory ribbing supports and threaded for the latch. As all fiberglass lids, you remove the factory hinge "springs". I installed the strut type lifters..very pleased with fit & finish.

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 30 2009, 06:12 AM) *

It is not wise to run trunk springs on any fiberglass lid, some people use a prop rod, some use gas struts. I told Getty that my carbon fiber lid was going on a street car and they threw a couple extra layers on for strength. And yes it is a great fit, they do really nice work.

On the other hand Getty does not offer a front lid with filled in headlight holes so I had to buy one from GT Racing and is fits and looks terrible, I was not at all impressed.

Check out my build thread if you want to see pics of the two lids.
jmill
QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 30 2009, 08:12 AM) *

They are light weight fiberglass parts. Their main purpose is to cut down weight. They do just that and the fit and finish is excellent.

The big question I have is if you want beefy lids why go fiberglass. confused24.gif Stick with the stock one. You can buy 3 good used ones for the price of one new FG one. Heck, I have 2 straight ones sitting in my garage now.
charliew
Getty might be good, I've bought lots of junk fg parts. Also I've looked at two factory steel "straight" ones so far and they were not perfect and getting one shiped and arriving straight is a real challenge.

My son bought a 600.00 siebon ricer cf hood for his sti and it was shipped with both front corners fractured from the supplier. There was no damage to the box and it was well packed, also there were no loose pieces in the box. It is really hard to get straight parts freighted to us.
kconway
QUOTE(jmill @ Apr 30 2009, 08:53 AM) *

QUOTE(kconway @ Apr 30 2009, 08:12 AM) *

They are light weight fiberglass parts. Their main purpose is to cut down weight. They do just that and the fit and finish is excellent.

The big question I have is if you want beefy lids why go fiberglass. confused24.gif Stick with the stock one. You can buy 3 good used ones for the price of one new FG one. Heck, I have 2 straight ones sitting in my garage now.

Again, the reason for going with a fiberglass lid is to incorporate a glass ducktail or spoiler. I just don't thing you can get glass parts to be long lasting when attaching them to steel lids as I want the spoiler moulded in not bolted on like an afterthought.
turboman808
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Apr 30 2009, 06:02 AM) *

On the other hand Getty does not offer a front lid with filled in headlight holes so I had to buy one from GT Racing and is fits and looks terrible, I was not at all impressed.

I did order Getty hoods and the fit like you said is really bad. I guess it's for racing and they don't care how it fits. So I still got steel hoods.
jt914-6
Kconway, Read my post again. Spoiler/lid one piece, looks great, no problem shipping, totaly satisfied.....Burbank, Ca. address on deck lid. Will send more pics if you wish...
plymouth37
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 30 2009, 11:57 AM) *

I did order Getty hoods and the fit like you said is really bad. I guess it's for racing and they don't care how it fits. So I still got steel hoods.

GT Racing is who I had problems with, Getty was fantastic.
turboman808
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Apr 30 2009, 01:21 PM) *

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 30 2009, 11:57 AM) *

GT Racing is who I had problems with, Getty was fantastic.

Opps yes GT Racing not Getty LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.