Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
Does anyone know if a VDO CHT gauge will work with the stock head temp sensor, lets say 74 on?
type47
No. The VDO CHT uses a thermocouple which generates a low voltage to power the gauge whereas the Cylinder head temperature sensor is a variable resistor that changes resistance value with temperature. So, no, one generates V and the other changes R, different things.
underthetire
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 30 2009, 12:24 PM) *

No. The VDO CHT uses a thermocouple which generates a low voltage to power the gauge whereas the Cylinder head temperature sensor is a variable resistor that changes resistance value with temperature. So, no, one generates V and the other changes R, different things.

Believe it or not, I understand. Installing a mass of thermocouples at work right now.

Thank you.
HAM Inc
It is also important to read CHT's with a probe under the spark plug.
BTW VDO cht guages are not accurate. Try a Dakota Digital.
type47
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ May 1 2009, 08:03 AM) *

BTW VDO cht guages are not accurate.

I am so glad to hear this as my VDO CHT gauge reads 475 degrees F under hard use!
mudfoot76
QUOTE(type47 @ May 1 2009, 12:55 PM) *

I am so glad to hear this as my VDO CHT gauge reads 475 degrees F under hard use!

If you haven't read it yet, our wonderful FAQ section has a great article on cylinder head temperature.

http://www.914world.com/specs/JakeRabyHeadTemps.php
HAM Inc
!
I am so glad to hear this as my VDO CHT gauge reads 475 degrees

According to my customers, including the racing engineer Kevin Groot, VDO guages read high, but I'm not sure they were 125*high! You better get a real guage and make sure you're not cooking your engine.
underthetire
on the same subject, anyone know what type of thermocouple VDO uses? K, N, etc.

My meter has a K thermocouple input, also have an Omega thermocouple calibrator.
jimtab
Quit doing that with the titles....I'm an old man and I think I have whiplash now.....shit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.