Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling on the Dizzy and Electronic Ignition Experts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Larouex
I am converting to an electronic ignition. The engine is a 1974 2.0 with the original fuel injection. I have new trigger points and a new dizzy base plate from AA.

I have the following parts…

• 1972 1.8 Dizzy
• 1974 1.7 Dizzy
• 1974 2.0 Dizzy – Correct part for the car. # 231 174 011
• A VW one the P.O. had put on the car.

The 2.0 one is sloppy to say the least. What can I swap and should I build the best one from the parts. What advice do you have as this is not my area of expertise.

I do have a meter for dwell and a timing light, so I think I can get this work done.

Larryj
underthetire
QUOTE(Larouex @ May 1 2009, 05:37 PM) *

I am converting to an electronic ignition. The engine is a 1974 2.0 with the original fuel injection. I have new trigger points and a new dizzy base plate from AA.

I have the following parts…

• 1972 1.8 Dizzy
• 1974 1.7 Dizzy
• 1974 2.0 Dizzy – Correct part for the car. # 231 174 011
• A VW one the P.O. had put on the car.

The 2.0 one is sloppy to say the least. What can I swap and should I build the best one from the parts. What advice do you have as this is not my area of expertise.

I do have a meter for dwell and a timing light, so I think I can get this work done.

Larryj

I think you mean 72 1.7
74 1.8

I don't think it matters, but if a VW one worked, the 1.7 would have the injection points you may not need ( depend on what fi) Use the springs and advance stuff from the 2.0. IMO the electronic units also are not quite as picky about shaft play.
Cap'n Krusty
The slop is likely in the plate, as bushing wear is rare. Might want to just replace the plate inthe 2.0 unit. I hope you're not gonna use a Pertronix crashalot unit. The Cap'n
Larouex
I have both the Pertronix and the Crane Setups. I planned to get the Pertronix running good first and then attempt the Crane as that is more complicated with the replacement of the coil, etc.
underthetire
QUOTE(Larouex @ May 1 2009, 09:19 PM) *

I have both the Pertronix and the Crane Setups. I planned to get the Pertronix running good first and then attempt the Crane as that is more complicated with the replacement of the coil, etc.

Iv'e been using "hot spark". Found on ebay and thesamba. ZERO problems with it and way less than the failtronix.
PabloZ
I have a similar dilema w/a '73 2.0 D-FI...the vacuum advance dashpot is bad and a repacement costs $150-170 vs. a new 009 or 050 Bosch centrifugal advance w/ electronics already installed for $100. What is the best way to go?

Thanks,
PZ
Cap'n Krusty

What "Replacement of the coil, etc"? The Crane, at least all the ones I've sold, doesn't require replacement of the coil ........... The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(PabloZ @ May 2 2009, 01:46 PM) *

I have a similar dilema w/a '73 2.0 D-FI...the vacuum advance dashpot is bad and a repacement costs $150-170 vs. a new 009 or 050 Bosch centrifugal advance w/ electronics already installed for $100. What is the best way to go?

Thanks,
PZ

The 009 (BAD) and the 050 (better) will be fine, if you don't need your FI to work. Gotta have some way to trigger the injectors, and those two don't have trigger points. Bite the bullet and get the correct vacuum unit, if you can find one.

Before anyone says there's an alternative triggering system, yes, there is. Somebody made one up, and it was complex and required quite a bit of electronics knowledge and ability to fabricate. I don't recall hearing that it was operational.

The Cap'n
McMark
the vacuum advance dashpot is bad

Most of the ones I've seen leak at the vacuum port. A little JB weld or other epoxy and they're fine. At least for awhile.
Larouex
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 2 2009, 01:57 PM) *

What "Replacement of the coil, etc"? The Crane, at least all the ones I've sold, doesn't require replacement of the coil ........... The Cap'n

True, I have the XR3000 and XL91 Coil setup. I am sure it is overkill.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.