Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early ('70) Fuel Filter Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
Need to replace my fuel filter on my '70 1.7. It appears the correct factory filter is NLA. The one I have has a thick band around the middle and slides into a bracket on the body.

My filter has a larger inlet diameter (10 mm?) and smaller outlet to the pump (8 mm OD, I think).

Local parts store offers one which takes two different hose diameters, but the large end is too large and the flow is backwards (flows arrow from small end to large end, I need the other way around). They say it is for all 914's but I am guessing that it is for a '75-'76.

I also see that Pelican sells a short "tapered" hose which may be the solution, but it costs over $30, so I'm not up for trial and error.

I have a filter which has 8mm OD nipples at both ends. I am tempted to use it and hope the larger diameter hose from the tunnel plastic tube will hold if I clamp it well.

Neither fllter has the "fat" band around the center to allow proper mounting to the firewall.

So, anyone got a solution to this problem?
Cap'n Krusty
STOP! The correct filter has an 8mm fitting on both ends. The filter REQUIRES the "adapter" hose (914 356 525 00) which is still available from the dealer, but they'll have to order it. ATTEMPTING TO USE A 10MM HOSE ON AN 8MM FILTER IS GETTING DOWN ON YOUR KNEES AND BEGGING FOR A FIRE! That hose clamp may look like it'll do the job, but it won't, at least not for long. Please, don't even think about it! We've lost enough people here through 'normal wear and tear", we don't need any human sacrifices ..............

BTW, I strongly recommend that you use a BMW 2002Tii fuel filter (13 32 1 256 492). It's all metal, round, a bit longer, and filters properly for EFI. It's readily available and probably cost's less than the "cube". Over the years since Bosch stopped making the proper filter, there have been some "issues" with quality control on the part of the companies that stepped in to fill the void.

The Cap'n
Porsche Rescue
Thank you Cap'n.

Am I correct that what I have now is a larger diameter (still on the car so guessing 10 mm) hose from the tunnel line to the filter (which has a larger than 8mm nipple) and that the tapered hose serves as a "reducer" to mate the 10mm tunnel line with the 8mm nipple on the replacement filter?

It appears the filter I have must be VERY old!

Sounds like I buy the $30 tapered hose!
championgt1
Yes you need the tapered hose.

Cap'n good info about the BMW filter.
Cap'n Krusty
If you have the big/small cube filter, it's 12mm inlet/8mm outlet.

The Cap'n
Porsche Rescue
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 1 2009, 07:56 PM) *

If you have the big/small cube filter, it's 12mm inlet/8mm outlet.

The Cap'n

The filter on the car now is the OE type with 10mm inlet and 8mm outlet. Hose rom the plastic tube to filter is not tapered. Filter has the wide band around the middle which clips to the body. Anyone guess how old (and dirty!)it must be?
Cap'n Krusty
Maybe I wasn't clear. There are ONLY TWO OE filters, one is 8/8 (early, in the rear of the car), the other 8/12 (late, under the fuel tank). There IS NO 8/10. If you have the one with the large inlet, and it's plumbed directly to the 10mm pipe, then the hose is stretched over the filter inlet or clamped down on the pipe. Not good. The Cap'n
Porsche Rescue
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 2 2009, 07:34 AM) *

Maybe I wasn't clear. There are ONLY TWO OE filters, one is 8/8 (early, in the rear of the car), the other 8/12 (late, under the fuel tank). There IS NO 8/10. If you have the one with the large inlet, and it's plumbed directly to the 10mm pipe, then the hose is stretched over the filter inlet or clamped down on the pipe. Not good. The Cap'n

Clearly I don't have a good grasp of my problem. Or maybe I don't have a problem. I have not yet removed the old filter, waiting until I have new hose and filter in hand (replacing all hoses). My car is a 108K, one owner before me car, and I am guessing the lines are original or recall replaced 39 years ago.
To my eye the hose leading to the filter appears larger in diameter than the one leading to the pump. Both are braided OE looking hoses.
I will take it apart and then know what I'm talking about! Maybe my replacement filter will fit (8mm x 8 mm). I will use the plastic cube for now and get a BMW model when I find a new tapered hose. I want to replace the $30 inlet hose but Pelican is out of stock and I will likely need to order from the dealer next week. I wish the new filter could be mounted correctly to the car. Oh well.

Thank you very much Cap'n.
Porsche Rescue
Since I am continuing to beat this horse...........
I took some pics. Now that I look at the inlet hose more closely, it appears I have a tapered hose leading to the filter! I think my focus has been on the end clamped to the plastic line! Appears my replacement "cube" will "bolt up".
Hope my ignorance results in someone other than me benefitting from the Cap'n's information!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
Another dilemma solved! Buy a new stepped hose. That one's seen better days, and it's apparently original. Hey, what's 30 bucks as opposed to having the fire department over for an unplanned BBQ?

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.