Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
I have replaced the alternator in '74 1.8 and put all wires back in place where they were. Now at start up, the alt light glows on the dash until I rev up the engine a little. Then it goes out and stays out. Any cause for concern? Fan belt maybe not tight enough? Would appreciate any thoughts / ideas. Thx.
dbgriffith75
When is the last time you had the voltage regulator checked?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(EJP914 @ May 3 2009, 02:22 PM) *

I have replaced the alternator in '74 1.8 and put all wires back in place where they were. Now at start up, the alt light glows on the dash until I rev up the engine a little. Then it goes out and stays out. Any cause for concern? Fan belt maybe not tight enough? Would appreciate any thoughts / ideas. Thx.

The light should stay on until the engine is revved over about 1500 RPM for the first time, every time the engine is started. The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 3 2009, 03:08 PM) *

The light should stay on until the engine is revved over about 1500 RPM for the first time, every time the engine is started. The Cap'n

agree.gif

On my /6, it's around 2000 rpm. As long as it stays out afterward, all is gud ...
bye1.gif Andy
EJP914
My thanks for the replies. That's exactly what it is doing. After the revs get over 1500 on the first tap on the accelerator, light goes out. Glad I don't have to take the alternator back out. Not fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.