Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Could my 1970 fuel lines be original?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Porsche Rescue
While looking at the AA catalog to find fuel hoses, I found a statement that the recall back in the day replaced the fabric covered lines with rubber lines less affected by battery acid.
My one-owner '70 (which was out of the country for much of the early 70's) has all fabric covered fuel lines and they look very old. Could it be that they were never replaced under recall? Will Porsche still honor the recall and replace my lines?
I seem to remember reading something on the issue on this board but can't find it through the search feature.
tod914
I recall a fairly recent thread where they will. You need to check your vin with their database to see if it's been done or not. Sorry but I don't have link.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ May 3 2009, 06:14 PM) *

While looking at the AA catalog to find fuel hoses, I found a statement that the recall back in the day replaced the fabric covered lines with rubber lines less affected by battery acid.
My one-owner '70 (which was out of the country for much of the early 70's) has all fabric covered fuel lines and they look very old. Could it be that they were never replaced under recall? Will Porsche still honor the recall and replace my lines?
I seem to remember reading something on the issue on this board but can't find it through the search feature.

It's my understanding that the recall is still active (do they ever die?). So long as your 914 has nor been refitted, it SHOULD qualify.

Now, I should quailfy this with the fact that many/most were retrofitted with cloth faced fuel lines. AA is incorrect here.

Regardless, if the "campaign" hasn't been performed on your 914, they owe you one. My bet is it was done - many years ago, with similar fuel ines, which were fabric covered. Or.....maybe not. Check with your dealer (such as it may be).
Pat
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 3 2009, 08:58 PM) *

It's my understanding that the recall is still active (do they ever die?). So long as your 914 has nor been refitted, it SHOULD qualify.

Now, I should quailfy this with the fact that many/most were retrofitted with cloth faced fuel lines. AA is incorrect here.

Regardless, if the "campaign" hasn't been performed on your 914, they owe you one. My bet is it was done - many years ago, with similar fuel ines, which were fabric covered. Or.....maybe not. Check with your dealer (such as it may be).
Pat

All the updates I saw were smooth rubber faced, not cloth.
Johny Blackstain
Original or not, the best solution is Tangerine Racings' stainless steel lines. Poof! Problems solved for life. My 74 has it's original clear vinyl tubes & I'm scared to death to touch them.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ May 4 2009, 04:49 PM) *

Original or not, the best solution is Tangerine Racings' stainless steel lines. Poof! Problems solved for life. My 74 has it's original clear vinyl tubes & I'm scared to death to touch them.

No, we're talking about the high pressure rubber lines from the fuel pump to the fuel distributor, to the injectors. Not the plastic lines, which are not part of the recall.

FWIW, my 72 still has its plastic lines too. Many times, I've pushed them out of the way, twisted them & tied them off, without a problem.

I think the whole safety concern is nuts & a reason to sell parts.

If they fail, go with Tangerine. Otherwise, leave them alone.

Agree that the stainless tubes are better parts, but what do you use after they exit the pan?
Pat
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 4 2009, 08:48 PM) *

No, we're talking about the high pressure rubber lines from the fuel pump to the fuel distributor, to the injectors. Not the plastic lines, which are not part of the recall.

FWIW, my 72 still has its plastic lines too. Many times, I've pushed them out of the way, twisted them & tied them off, without a problem.

I think the whole safety concern is nuts & a reason to sell parts.

If they fail, go with Tangerine. Otherwise, leave them alone.

Agree that the stainless tubes are better parts, but what do you use after they exit the pan?
Pat

Ah, sorry, my mistake Pat. I'd replace the rubber/cloth lines w/ new ones, as per the recall. They are still very much available. As for the vinyl lines from the tank, I still don't trust them & intend on replacing mine in both cars w/ stainless.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.