Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which caliper is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Okay so my 5-lug conversion was done by someone else. Well sort of as I did put it on this car. Anyway I am not sure if these are stock 914 calipers, 914-6 or 911 calipers. I should remember but don't have an extra caliper or car around. It is leaking & needs rebuilt. I just want to make sure I get the right kit
T H O M A S
914/4 stock
JRust
Cool thanks. For some reason I though the stock only had one bleeder not 2. Just wanted to be sure. biggrin.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(JRust @ May 3 2009, 06:19 PM) *

Cool thanks. For some reason I though the stock only had one bleeder not 2. Just wanted to be sure. biggrin.gif

I have two bleeders rolleyes.gif
swl
I think the 1vrs 2 bleeders is another of the late vrs early differences.
JRust
Oh is it an early or late one?
swl
early = 1 late = 2?
davep
QUOTE(swl @ May 3 2009, 06:02 PM) *

early = 1 late = 2?

Yes, late = 1973 generally
SLITS
And if they were rebuilt by A1/Cardone, they automatically take a single bleeder caliper and drill for the second bleeder .....................
computers4kids
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 4 2009, 05:56 AM) *

And if they were rebuilt by A1/Cardone, they automatically take a single bleeder caliper and drill for the second bleeder .....................

Hi Ron,
Have you learned any tricks to bleeding 914 calipers with two bleeders? i.e one before the other etc.
Thanks
davep
You only need one bleed nipple to bleed a caliper; the top one.
The bottom bleed nipple can be used to drain the caliper to help ensure all the old fluid is removed from the caliper. I like to open both and fully drain each caliper first. The reasoning being that simply bleeding does not change the fluid inside the piston of the outer caliper.
computers4kids
QUOTE(davep @ May 4 2009, 06:38 AM) *

You only need one bleed nipple to bleed a caliper; the top one.
The bottom bleed nipple can be used to drain the caliper to help ensure all the old fluid is removed from the caliper. I like to open both and fully drain each caliper first. The reasoning being that simply bleeding does not change the fluid inside the piston of the outer caliper.

Thanks Dave...I've been using the top one, but this thread made me wonder if there was another reason for the second bleeder idea.gif ....i.e draining the caliper. biggrin.gif
davep
When I rebuilt my first calipers some 30 years ago I noticed that the outer pistons were rustier than the inner pistons. Fresh fluid takes the shortest, easiest route from the brake line to the bleed nipple. That does not include the guts of the pistons or the outer half of the caliper in most cases. So simply bleeding the system really only cleans the lines of old fluid, but does very little for the calipers.

Back in those days there were NO repair parts for the rear calipers, one had to reuse every seal or get another caliper.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.