Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What type/size screws used for door pockets?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
I need to find the correct screws & bolts for the driver's side door pocket and the passenger side door pull. Can anyone tell me the type(s) & size(s)?
The PO used various types and they look horrible, not to mention they don't fit. mad.gif

Should I move this to the originality forum for a better chance at an answer?

A PICTURE OF THE LOWER 3 screws on either door panel pocket/pull would be greatly appreciated. A pick of them installed is fine and would be a HUGE help.
type47
EDIT: Upon further research (researching screws and bolts and nuts, too much time on my hands), the following information has contradictions. I thought #9 would be the nuts to the screws but the PET only lists 2 nuts and there are 6 screws so #9 doesn't go. That would mean the #6 is a "sheet metal screw" rather than a machine screw but when I compared the description to the mirror screw (809-00), which I know is a machine screw, the descriptions are the same.

The PET, 807-05, shows 6 each, screws to hold the pocket. Figure 807-05, parts #'s 6, 7 and 9.

#6 900.145.006.02 is a "rais. countersh. h. tap. s." B 3,5 x 19 which I interpret as an oval head machine screw 3.5 mm x 19 mm long.

#7 E 999.591.102.12 is a "protection washer" which is, in American, a finishing washer. The "E" designates NLA

#9 E 999.507.317.02 is a "klips nut lock" possibly a nut for the screw.

Without access to my car, and without clear memory, this is the PET result.
If it were me, I'd go to a hardware store and get the SAE equivalent in stainless steel. A 3,5 x 19 is about a #6 x 3/4".
rjames
QUOTE(type47 @ May 4 2009, 07:44 AM) *

EDIT: Upon further research (researching screws and bolts and nuts, too much time on my hands), the following information has contradictions. I thought #9 would be the nuts to the screws but the PET only lists 2 nuts and there are 6 screws so #9 doesn't go. That would mean the #6 is a "sheet metal screw" rather than a machine screw but when I compared the description to the mirror screw (809-00), which I know is a machine screw, the descriptions are the same.

The PET, 807-05, shows 6 each, screws to hold the pocket. Figure 807-05, parts #'s 6, 7 and 9.

#6 900.145.006.02 is a "rais. countersh. h. tap. s." B 3,5 x 19 which I interpret as an oval head machine screw 3.5 mm x 19 mm long.

#7 E 999.591.102.12 is a "protection washer" which is, in American, a finishing washer. The "E" designates NLA

#9 E 999.507.317.02 is a "klips nut lock" possibly a nut for the screw.

Without access to my car, and without clear memory, this is the PET result.
If it were me, I'd go to a hardware store and get the SAE equivalent in stainless steel. A 3,5 x 19 is about a #6 x 3/4".

Beautiful! Thank you for taking the time out to respond with this info. It's very much appreciate!! beer.gif

type47
Well, not sure I helped much as I left the question unanswered. I would probably go to the local hardware store and get some stainless steel oval head sheet metal screws and SS finishing washers and see if that will work to attach the pocket. If you still want more info, I could look at my car and ID the screws.
rjames
QUOTE(type47 @ May 5 2009, 04:53 PM) *

Well, not sure I helped much as I left the question unanswered. I would probably go to the local hardware store and get some stainless steel oval head sheet metal screws and SS finishing washers and see if that will work to attach the pocket. If you still want more info, I could look at my car and ID the screws.

Actually at this point I've decided pictures might be better. Because the PO had replaced the original screws I have a feeling he used something larger than what was stock. So at this point I probably just need a picture of what they look like installed so that I can at least try and get the original look to whatever I end up using.
I'm talking only about the 3 screws on the bottom of the driver's side pocket and the 3 screws on the bottom of the plastic cover under the door pull on the passenger side.

Anyone got pics? Should I post this in the originality forum instead?
detoxcowboy
Take the door panels off and on the rear you should find cage nuts that are m6 x 1.0 (6mm) If the p.o. used different then there is a problem where the nuts are going into.. you have to investigate or your just guessing what back there.. There are many want to jury rig this set up.. basicvally I had same issue.. cage nuts were falling or missing .. so i wnet to the hardware store and have read the porsche pet.. and compared to wahat i knew in my door was orginally.. and matched it.. m6x1.0 screwa or allen screws etc.. your choice and matching nuts that can stay in the door frame (you will see if you take the panel off) caged nuts is what porsche used and you can get them in the nut isle at ace hardware.. if you ask an asstistant he or shew will fail to know what caged nuts are.. kinda sounds like the start of a joke but when you see one you will known they are desighned for exactly the 914 door ..
rjames
QUOTE(perrin1097 @ May 6 2009, 01:37 PM) *

Take the door panels off and on the rear you should find cage nuts that are m6 x 1.0 (6mm) If the p.o. used different then there is a problem where the nuts are going into.. you have to investigate or your just guessing what back there.. There are many want to jury rig this set up.. basicvally I had same issue.. cage nuts were falling or missing .. so i wnet to the hardware store and have read the porsche pet.. and compared to wahat i knew in my door was orginally.. and matched it.. m6x1.0 screwa or allen screws etc.. your choice and matching nuts that can stay in the door frame (you will see if you take the panel off) caged nuts is what porsche used and you can get them in the nut isle at ace hardware.. if you ask an asstistant he or shew will fail to know what caged nuts are.. kinda sounds like the start of a joke but when you see one you will known they are desighned for exactly the 914 door ..

THanks for this, and thanks for the PM, too. Much appreciated. I just rebuilt the door panels, and am familiar with the cage nuts that you're taking about. There were a couple on each door to the handles where the most stress would be when opening and closing the doors. However, I may be wrong, but I don't think they used that style on the lowest 3 holes on each door. I don't think there is any place in the door itself to hold a square cage nut in those positions. confused24.gif
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(rjames @ May 7 2009, 12:40 PM) *

QUOTE(perrin1097 @ May 6 2009, 01:37 PM) *

THanks for this, and thanks for the PM, too. Much appreciated. I just rebuilt the door panels, and am familiar with the cage nuts that you're taking about. There were a couple on each door to the handles where the most stress would be when opening and closing the doors. However, I may be wrong, but I don't think they used that style on the lowest 3 holes on each door. I don't think there is any place in the door itself to hold a square cage nut in those positions. confused24.gif

Your right.. I again went to hardware store and got blacks screw that had little washers attached to them "trim screws" there are a variety of lengths and sizes so just buy a spread of 2 or 3 different to fit the holes>> you can make your bigger of course or even move it over slightly and make you own.. "trim screws" they come in chrome and black at ace.. Ace IS the Place..
Porsche Rescue
#6 and #7 in type47's post above are what you want (but they might not work now if the current screws have enlarged the holes in the door).
Here are pics. The screw is 19mm as in #6. I would get stainless sheet metal screws with the concave trim washers in a size to fit the holes you have. In the past I have found them at ACE hardware. Here are both pockets and a screw from my very original '70.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
charliew
If you really want to get high tech. you can use nutzerts and use a machine screw type to put there. They are like a internally threadded poprivet without the center. They are used for lots of things but the outside mirrors on 80's trucks was a popular spot for some uses. The ones I have are american standard thread sizes but they may be available in metric. If the holes are really big you might could use the plastic nuts that snap in a hole and a sheet metal then goes into. You would need a square hole punch for those or the small cutoff wheel in a dremel tool.

Another option is use the plastic push in button headed upholstery fasteners.
rjames
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ May 8 2009, 08:16 AM) *

#6 and #7 in type47's post above are what you want (but they might not work now if the current screws have enlarged the holes in the door).
Here are pics. The screw is 19mm as in #6. I would get stainless sheet metal screws with the concave trim washers in a size to fit the holes you have. In the past I have found them at ACE hardware. Here are both pockets and a screw from my very original '70.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Awesome. Thank you for taking the time to take a photo, and thanks to everyone that replied. I'll be hitting up the local Ace hardware store this afternoon! beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.