Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: car stereos
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GreatPumpkin
lets see your car stereos

aktion035.gif
SLITS
Real Sports Car drivers don't need no stinkin' radio. You listen to the wind whistle past your ears, the rumble of the road and the music produced by the engine. It completes the ying and yang of the Sports Car experience poke.gif
GreatPumpkin
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 4 2009, 08:30 PM) *

Real Sports Car drivers don't need no stinkin' radio. You listen to the wind whistle past your ears, the rumble of the road and the music produced by the engine. It completes the ying and yang of the Sports Car experience poke.gif

what the hell are you talking about ying and yang is that some kind of southern california ricer rap band?
turnaround89
I like my all pioneer setup.....the sound of the engine and wind is great, but on a long cruise(like 2 hours long) wind and engine can get boring...adding music makes for a good time
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ May 4 2009, 06:33 PM) *

I like my all pioneer setup.....the sound of the engine and wind is great, but on a long cruise(like 2 hours long) wind and engine can get boring...adding music makes for a good time

What, you can't sing? The Cap'n
RJMII
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 4 2009, 06:30 PM) *

confused24.gif The 914 is a sports car? bs.gif

poke.gif
iamchappy
Alpine cd mp3 player with 8" Quart subs driven by Alpine T220, Alpine type R 5 1/4 door and 6.5 kick panel speakers driven by Alpine T240 amp.
party.gif
And a power booooooster....... driving.gif
tango-52
I can't hear my stereo over my friggin' exhaust leaks. Damn I hate those copper gaskets! Does anyone make nice squishy header gaskets for 914s?
nsr-jamie
Here is a pic of my car after the stereo was stolen. I had a nice Kenwood CD player with a 100 watt amp and 6 x 9 speakers with custom boxes in the stocker speaker location. Bummer...I hate thieves....they also came back a couple of nights later and took the steering wheel, shifter, broke off the rear view mirror and tore the seat as well

I ordered new boxes from Appearance and will install those later on when I get some other issues sorted out.

I think having a good stereo is a nice thing especially if you drive your car a lot and also to work

IPB Image
aircooledtechguy
I just installed a Left Coast Simple Stereo into my '75 and am VERY happy with it. I already had an old classic twin knob Pioneer AM/FM cassette deck and door speakers, but wanted iPod/MP3 player capability without cutting my dash for a new larger sized stereo. This was the perfect solution for me. The stereo resides on a small mounting plate on the ledge under my Pioneer unit and wires into the stock speaker mounts fwd of the doors. I cut a small hole for the interface plate into the inside of my plastic console between the seats. When I install the cushion everything is hidden. It even provides 5V power to recharge the MP3 devise as it plays. The MP3 devise controls the volume and if you have one with FM radio you can get your favorite stations too. Everything I need; nothing I don't. It's completely water-proof, vibration-proof and since I installed mine, I can assure you it's idiot-proof as well biggrin.gif As you can see from the photo below, it's about the size of a cigarette pack. Easy to hide anywhere in the car.

For those who have no stereo at all and/or an un-cut dash, this little unit and a set of speakers is all you need. It does NOT play through another stereo; it is the stereo!!

If anyone is interested and wants more information, contact Jim Lee at info@leftcoast.biz
rjames
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ May 5 2009, 08:40 AM) *

I just installed a Left Coast Simple Stereo into my '75 and am VERY happy with it. I already had an old classic twin knob Pioneer AM/FM cassette deck and door speakers, but wanted iPod/MP3 player capability without cutting my dash for a new larger sized stereo. This was the perfect solution for me. The stereo resides on a small mounting plate on the ledge under my Pioneer unit and wires into the stock speaker mounts fwd of the doors. I cut a small hole for the interface plate into the inside of my plastic console between the seats. When I install the cushion everything is hidden. It even provides 5V power to recharge the MP3 devise as it plays. The MP3 devise controls the volume and if you have one with FM radio you can get your favorite stations too. Everything I need; nothing I don't. It's completely water-proof, vibration-proof and since I installed mine, I can assure you it's idiot-proof as well biggrin.gif As you can see from the photo below, it's about the size of a cigarette pack. Easy to hide anywhere in the car.

For those who have no stereo at all and/or an un-cut dash, this little unit and a set of speakers is all you need. It does NOT play through another stereo; it is the stereo!!

If anyone is interested and wants more information, contact Jim Lee at info@leftcoast.biz

THAT is cool! aktion035.gif CDs are too big and a pain to carry in the car, especially since everything I want to listen to I've converted to MP3s. Great solution!
jsayre914
biggrin.gif
geniusanthony
I went uber-simple with mine... Alpine 300W amp under dash(hides well) and Morphs's kick panel enclosures for 6.5's. A shallow kicker sub bolts into the side of a repro console. Input is by mp3 only via Headphone --->RCA direct to amp. Nice sound and no holes in dash.
I do like that left coast stereo thing though, very clean.
whitey

Jim,

I love your installation of the left coast stereo....Where do you purchase the unit...I am having trouble finding it.

Thanks, Dave
zonedoubt
Blaupunkt Frankfurt era-correct radio w/ hidden home-brewed 3.5mm-to-DIN adapter that plugs into the connector on the back of the Blau. Allows me to plug in my iPod and play through the stock location speakers.
carr914
Factory Radio

T.C.

Click to view attachment
zeezee
RetroSound Model One.
Very small - tons of knob and faceplate options.
Plug in USB thumb drive for MP3s.
Very neat and compact.

zonedoubt
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 5 2009, 06:28 PM) *

Factory Radio

I was under the impression there weren't any factory supplied radios. The dealer installed these.

In any case, nice radio! aktion035.gif
rjames
I think I've decided to try and find a period correct radio, and then create a connection from my MP3 player directly to an amp and then to the speakers. It will keep thieves away because all they'll see is the old am/fm radio. The Left Coast Simple Stereo gave me the idea. I don't really need a head unit to use my mp3 player especially since it already has an FM tuner built in. idea.gif

pktzygt
I'll take some pics later. I'll tell you how it sounds when I finish it eventually.

I have an older MP3 capable Eclipse stereo with all white lighting that looks pretty good. Morph kick pods with JL 6.5" TR-series speakers. Alpine 300 watt 4 channel amp with the rear channels bridged for a JL 8W3v3 sub in a custom passenger floor box.

Words of advise. Look at the speaker grills before you buy your speakers. It's nearly impossible to find good looking grills aftermarket and I didn't like the look or the protection that the newer alpine grills provide. I prefer stereo lighting to match my dash lights. The new alpine digital amps run cooler and are smaller than most amps.
jt914-6

MY stereo, 3.0 six with supertrapps. I agree with you slits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click to view attachment
carr914
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ May 6 2009, 01:47 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ May 5 2009, 06:28 PM) *

Factory Radio

I was under the impression there weren't any factory supplied radios. The dealer installed these.

In any case, nice radio! aktion035.gif

There were Factory Installed Radios, but they are pretty Rare

T.C.

Click to view attachment
jim lee
QUOTE(whitey @ May 5 2009, 02:23 PM) *

Jim,

I love your installation of the left coast stereo....Where do you purchase the unit...I am having trouble finding it.

Thanks, Dave

Hello everyone, jim lee here.

Actually, Nate (aircooledtechguy), is the one that installed the stereo in his 914. I'm the guy that had it developed. Our shops are next door to each other.

We haven't put up a web page about the Simple Stereo because its not really finished. Every thing's working, but its not in a box with installation instructions etc.

You see, we developed it for the sailboat we're building. Putting it in a car was aircooledtechguy's idea. Suddenly we find that the few prototypes we built are in high demand by everyone in the business complex where we have our shops. This changed everything. So.. The hope is to have them finished up, packaged and in production by the end of this week.

I see nate's put my e-mail above so I won't bother you with it again. Feel free to drop us a line.

-jim lee

Left Coast
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.